78rpm Dual Turntable Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old fidelitone model a dual turntable which plays at 78rpm speed. what options do I have to get one of them to play at a different speed? is there an innovative or easy way to do it?here is a picture.

Attachments

• 37comb.jpg
    37comb.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 308
what to do?

this collectible is hifi all-tube with headphone jack, input for voice, and a 12 inch speaker included. sounds very good to give up on.
man, I could hook this thing up to my pc speakers with the headphone jack, very flexible, but this single problem with the speed is pulling my hair out. please help

You could get a new smaller diameter pulley machined (assuming of course that the turntables are idler drive (a safe assumption) and that the idler is driven off a pulley, rather than the actual motor shaft (less safe assumption). But a bigger issue is that, since 78's are mono, the turntables are likely to have a significant amount of rumble -- the groove on mono discs is cut with horizontal motion only, so vertical vibration isn't particularly important. Consequently mono turntables are often unsuitable for stereo (or even microgroove) use. It's possible that it wouldn't be an issue, but its something to think about before altering such a neat item -- it would be a real pity to put the work in and find out it doesn't play non 78s well.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Wow! What a machine! I suspect it's on the wrong forum. You ought to check this out with the vintage freaks. Modifying it could eliminate its value.

If you mean, "how can I play 78s," then you need a turntable that can do 78 with variable speed (many 78s weren't 78). You will also need dedicated stylus tips (not a problem, lots of places do them) and a dedicated pre-amplifier to cope with the various equalisations.

Alternatively, you could get an acoustical gramophone and adjust the positioning of the sock in the horn.

It all depends on how serious you are. Just don't wreck what might turn out to be a priceless artifact.

Thanks. it sounds nice on 78's. I went online (amazing huh?) and talked to a semi-vintage turntable serviceman. He suggested
shaving the motor pulleys on it. No way! Im too careful to modify/upgrade it but not alter it in any manner. I would like to replace one of the turntables with a new one designed for 33/45 rpms, but where do I start? I play guitar using all-tube amps and know this is the way to go for sound. this is a keeper

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Technis SL10

markp said:
Its the direct drive monsterous platter studio turntable from the '70s. I have a Grace tonearm and I handbuilt the base and isolation. I got it for $15 without a tonearm back in '83.

That's the one. $15 was a bargain. Mine isn't a runner yet, but it will be mounted on a really heavy plinth when I get around to it (it needs some work on its electronics to un-BBC it).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Lots. They added a variable speed control, fader start, and disabled the local speed controls. All of this plus audio added up to a 2U crate which lived in the huge (oak veneered) cabinet. The SP10 and truly dreadful arm were mounted on a bit of 1" plywood that wobbled on springs. The variable speed was probably fitted primarily for 78s, but I don't know if selecting 78 invoked 78 equalisation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.