Anyone built a new subframe for a Sota Sapphire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone has ever built a new subframe for a Sota Sapphire. Would love to do some upgrading of the original, but Sota wants a good buck, and it does not seem like it would be that terribly difficult to make. Might even have access to a CNC router which would certainly help if I had the right measurements.
Would love to have a new plinth for it too. Mine is the ever so stylish, mid 80's oak.
Would appreciate any info.
Thanks!

Hi there Bigerik. This post is over six years old but I wondered if you ever made one of these for your Sota? I just picked one up that was in rough shape and it too has that 'lovely' golden oak plinth. I'll also add that I didn't expect to see so much MDF when I opened it up. Any place a screw is in it, and has been stressed, the MDF has broken up. I'm surprised Sota used that stuff.

MDF and a lot of lead pretty much does away with many resonances in comparison to hundreds of cheaper made TT,s out there that ring like a telephone.
The MDF is just a platform, the lead dominates any issues that might come up

I am in the process of making a new longer body version with 1/2" 6061 with 3/4" acrylic bolted to it to accommodate a different tonearm.
The problem is and it is significant, you must redesign a new suspension because of the added weight.
You might reconsider modifying something that works well and reviewed positively at the price point unless you feel confident you can do better.

Enjoy
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.