Grado Statement Platinum phono cartridge 0.5 mV or 5mV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I think to buy a Grado Statement Platinum Wood phono cartridge for my Grace 707. I hesitate between Grado Wood and Denon DL301 II
I have a AT33PTG on a Jelco tonearm and it's marvelous. For the Grace, I don't know if the Grado Wood would do the same job than an MC like Denon DL301 II

For Grado, I don't know if it's better to choose 0,5mV or 5mV ?

Please, could you talk to me about Grado Wood (and the advantage/difference in sound between 0,5mV or 5mV) ?

Thanks

Pascal

Hi
I had Grado Reference Sonata (5 mV )on Grace 707 and it wasn't anything special -boring, sibilant , somehow restricted sounding.
I read that Grados really like heavy arms to performs to their best.
I preffered cheap Stanton 688E to Grado on that arm. Also forget Grado -Rega combination. You may have better luck with Dennon
or probably even more so with Music Maker (based also on Grado but with different tunning and cantilever, styllus assy.)
Regards, L

Thanks Limono. I think now to try DL301 II on the Grace, because I don't like when there is nothing special with a boring cart ;-)
I love my AT33PTG on the Jelco because the sound is special, alive, dynamic, great bass and lot of emotion in the space.
I would like to have the same on the Grace with an other cart.

which cart you use on your Grace ?

Regards

Pascal

Pascal
I'm hardly an analog expert . Grace 707 is not my main arm (Rega RB1000 is). Since I didn't like Grado Sonata on either arm I decided to put cheap Stanton 688E (which I already had)on Grace and that was the end of story. I heard that quite a few Grace owners bought Music Maker carts. Sort of counter intuitive to buy $1000 cart for $150 arm but some swear by Grace. For me wooden Grado is a no go. Maybe somebody else will give you a constructive advice which cart is a go.
Regards, L

Hello Limono,

if I look dynamic compliance of cartridges of my choice

Grado Wood : 20
Denon DL301 II : 13
AT33PTG : 10
AT OC9 : 9

The Grado Wood has the best compliance, the Denon a good compliance for light arm, the AT33PTG is just in the middle, and the OC9 must be removed (because under 10)

Strange, because Grado seems to be a cart for light arm.

In all cases, thank you very much for your patience and to share your experience.

Best Regards

Pascal

PTSOUNDLAB said:

In all cases, thank you very much for your patience and to share your experience.

Best Regards

Pascal

No problem , take it with a grain of salt ;) I only wouldn't like to create impression that Grados are bad cartridges- thats all.
Shopping for cartridge on a budget can be frustrating considering markup on those things and impossibility of audition.
Regards and good luck
L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.