Turntable High Frequency Distortion Sibilance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This weekend I picked up a Stanton T.90 Turntable and I knew more than likely I would want to replace the 500 V3 it comes with.

It is a more general all purpose/DJ cartridge and I wanted to start using the TT for doing some vinyl archiving (mostly late 70's to 80's EP/LP's).

After a couple of hours trying various adjustments and records, I "think" my assumption was correct. I just couldn't get rid of some distortion / sibilance / Es'ing at higher frequencies in both channels at any adjustment.

I tried from a 1.5g to 3g (thought the max of 5g in the cartridge spec was a bit much for doing vinyl archiving). I don't have a blank record to verify the anti-skate but setting it to 1.5 seems to give an even balance on both channels from beginning to end of a 33 1/3 LP.

Also tried various levels using the analog out to a rolls pre-amp to a Makie 1202 mixer and the SPDIF out on the turntable and get the same results.

Any other ideas?

I'd like to try a different cartridge but I have the usual quandary that comes up.

What to get?

I don't want to go over $200 which also makes me a bit nervous to spend that on something you can't return if it doesn't work out.

if ti s a new deck with cart then dump the cart, they are rubbish sub dj standard.

assumping it's anormal 1/2" mount headshell at the end of your tonearm, the world is your oyster.

dj carts tend to be very high output so if you have a phonostage/mixer stage set up for that you'll need to replace it with another dj cart or at least a moving magnet cart.

so, i'd start here...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Red-Phono-Cartridge?sc=2&category=402

the difference will not be subtle, make sure you have it fitted and aligned by someone who knows how..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.