Linear tracking tonearm vs. Pivoting tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have recently spotted a Phase Linear 8000 linear tracking turntable at a flea market. I believe that I can purchase it for less than $100. I currently own a Technics SL1400mk2, a Sony PS-X70, and an AR XB with a JH labs Formula IV tonearm. I have read that the Linear tracking tonearm eliminates tracking error and is lower mass. I also have read that linear tracking tonearms are not better than pivoting tonearms. Any thoughts about The Phase Linear turntable? Thoughts about the benifits of either type of tonearm? How do you choose a suitable cartridge for the Phase Linear or any other turntable. Most dealers don't let customers audition cartridges and send them back.

Hi, I believe it is a Pioneer PL-L1000 in a different color, and more information can be found here - http://www.vinylengine.com/library_model.php?make=Pioneer&selected_model=PL-L1000

I favor linear tracking arms and have owned Eminent Technologies model 2.5 and currently own Model 2.0 as well as a Clearaudio Tangent arm.

Between pivot and linear tracking, I would say it is much like religion. It depends on what you believe and prefer. I've setup a variety of pivoted arms, such as JMW, Kuzma, Satisfy, Unify, Rega in addition to my own, and every arm has their own unique requirements.

I also own a JVC QL-Y66F which is pivoted and servo-controlled. Because of its design, setting it up is versy easy as well.

Your arm can take a cart from 4g to 24g.

Enjoy!

Joined 2011
Thoughts about the benifits of either type of tonearm? How do you choose a suitable cartridge for the Phase Linear or any other turntable.

Only the very best linear tracking arms work very well. I'd stay with a good conventional arm.
There are so many cartridges and so many different tonearms that there's just no way to know
how well a combination will work before trying it.

Of course, a high compliance cartridge doesn't belong in a massive arm, and vice versa.
Check out Stereophile's recommended components list.
2014 Recommended Components | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
The Pioneer PL-L1000 or the re-badged version of that, the Phase Linear 8000 are top line linear tracking tables. Back in 1982 they cost 999 bucks, a heck of a lot of money for a TT back than.
The arm moves back and forth by a linear motor drive, same technology that moves a maglev train.
If you decide to give it a pass and are willing to ship it, I would be interested in another one.

BillWojo

On Edit: I just noticed that this thread was 8 years old and some joker reopened it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.