Does anybody still play music cassettes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a musician's sense of pitch and I have always hated cassettes. Wow and flutter is quite audible, IMHO. I've never owned a high end cassette deck but my $60 1985 RCA CD player always performed quite well to my ear: and it still does. My mother's $140 Panasonic cassette player never even came close on pitch stability. I inherited her cassette player and cassette collection, but never play anything but the FM radio function.

The reason probably - you have not heard Nak Dragon or ZX 9 in good condition-
People pay $$$$ for a good serviced Nak
I own 1000ZXL limited +1000ZXL + Dragon+ CR 7A and few other Naks

Yes absolutley. Especialy when one has loads of tapes taken at the desk direct from live concert and before dinamics have been compresed over and over again to make CD.

No need to pay $$$$ I do disposal for free Just send it to me :D

Sam GT said:
Does anybody still play music cassettes?
Indeed I do Sam!

I am very selective when i buy them!!!!!!

I make sure its not DIGITALLY TRANSFERRED to the tape (I look for XDR and/or I read the detail sleeve (If it has one))

I make sure its not a CHROME tape as those dont sound as good in my opinion....

I only get original format releases... The newest tape i have gotton is from 1991: Micheal Bolton "Time love and tenderness"

I imagine anything newer will be HARD TO FIND not digitally transferred :(

sadly yess. I still have a Cassette gizmo in my car (oem) Frankly though it doesn't sound great. Decent but not great. But better than the radio IF one could tolerate the gibberish inherent to current radio.
Annoyingly the cassettes are a genuine PITA to store and switch tracks on.

Cassettes now my main source of music, mostly recorded from vinyl or reels. Much better sound than CD, more convenient to use than vinyl (and saves precious LPs from wear and damage) and a lot of fun. I have quite a number of good cassette decks and many of them are used on a daily basis. I forgot when I've used my CD player last time - probably over a year ago.

Cheers

Alex

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cassettes now my main source of music, mostly recorded from vinyl or reels. Much better sound than CD, more convenient to use than vinyl (and saves precious LPs from wear and damage) and a lot of fun. I have quite a number of good cassette decks and many of them are used on a daily basis. I forgot when I've used my CD player last time - probably over a year ago.

Cheers

Alex

I found lots of interesting reading on A.N.T. Audio :: Welcome :: News :)

Arne K

I have been kinda curious about how cassettes might sound to me these days. I have a Nak RX-202 and a TD-800 (car unit) stashed. I also have lots of old tapes. Twenty years ago, I ended a 15 year audio retail career and throughout, it seemed like you could just hear noise build up with successive plays on demo LPs. So most people I knew would play a new direct-to-disc, imported pressing or remaster once to record it and then just play it the recording. Only break out the LP on special occasions. This demanded that you had a good, calibrate-able deck and good tape. For my era, the ZX7, ZX9 or Dragon were the reference and we would all use the store's demo unit to make recordings. So... Thanks for bringing this up. I need to dig that stuff out and see :) For that matter, I am also curious about my old Akai open reel deck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.