Does anybody still play music cassettes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a TEAC deck (two motor, three head) only used occasionally and although it's a budget machine (cost £150 about 12 years ago), compared with the studio type gear described in this thread, I can't detect any wow and flutter and the freq response is as good as my old ears need.

Anyone who thinks cassettes don't sound good have never heard a good deck. Also, Nakamichi wasn't the only company that made a good deck, many others did as well. I have two Harmon Kardorn 491's and a Lux k-03, all sound great, even with cheap type one ferric.
Good decks had bias/level equalization to optimize for each tape.
I recently got a rare JVC NR-50 noise reduction box, has dolby b, c, and Super ANRS.
Tapes sound awesome.

I think that if you are into vinyl, you just have to be into cassettes
Vinyl and cassettes go together like peas and carrots. If I don't feel like flipping a Mobil Fidelity vinyl, I'll just put a cassette of it on my Lux k-03.
If I didn't have the tape, what would I do? Play an mp3 of the vinyl? Eew!

Playing around with my cassettes for the first time in a long while and it's been fun and nostalgic. Not all listening is done critically and for this, the cassette is just fine. The only thing I miss compared to newer formats is the ability to quickly skip or restart a selection. ...and since my tapes are old, I have found a few dropouts :(

My lux k-03 has that. Hit pause, then tap fwd, it will fast forward to the next song after you hit play and play it. Tap 2 or3 and it will take you 2 or 3 songs ahead. Also works in reverse.
Deck came with a remote so you can stay in your chair. I don't use though, out of fear that'll put extra wear on the heads.

katana1100 said:
Anyone who thinks cassettes don't sound good have never heard a good deck.
Well most likely they are hearing the wrong kind!

Chrome tapes and XDR tapes to me sound like crap...... When I buy a cassette I try to make sure IT IS NOT DIGITALLY TRANSFERRED and is not a CHROME/XDR tape...... (Im not sure how METAL tapes sound im just going by the 2 I have heard that ARE NOT STANDARD)

Last edited:
Well most likely they are hearing the wrong kind!

Chrome tapes and XDR tapes to me sound like crap...... When I buy a cassette I try to make sure IT IS NOT DIGITALLY TRANSFERRED and is not a CHROME/XDR tape...... (Im not sure how METAL tapes sound im just going by the 2 I have heard that ARE NOT STANDARD)
The best sounding prerecorded tapes were chrome, BASF chrome (not cobalt doped either). All of the MOFI cassettes were on chrome, from digital masters too.
Also some mainstream artists preferred their work to be released on basf chrome, like Super Tramps later albums, I think Sting too.

I have a Nakamichi DRAGON & a Nakamichi 1000 II, & a Technics RS-9900US. Yeah, I use my home made cass. all the time. I refuse to play pre-recorded cass. on my Nak's though. They are just to dirty to use on Any high-end machine!!! I have a cheap double-cass to play my wife's Korean tapes.

MLStrand56

Last edited:
katana1100 said:
The best sounding prerecorded tapes were chrome, BASF chrome (not cobalt doped either). All of the MOFI cassettes were on chrome, from digital masters too.
I only get standard cassettes and I make sure its an analog transfer (I consider cassettes to be better quality (like records) being analog and I do not want compromised analog sound on my cassettes..)

Fwiw, I haven't played any cassettes since I put my Dual C939 to rest. That deck had a pretty good drive system but it also had an achiles heel. The RCA in jacks were coupled directly to a pcb. And the action of plugging in and pulling out the RCA plugs tended to excercise the pcb in a destructive manner. to further ad insult to injury, that deck was impossibly complex to assemble/disassemble. In the end. not worth the bother.

At the time of purchase it was not a cheap deck either. So since then I haven't played any of my cassettes.

Can someone tell me what a TD 1200 car head unit is worth these days?
I ran mine for 24 hours on a bench PS (FM) and a scope output check, and ran cassettes in both directions noticing the azimuth lights blinking ( to indicate high frequency correction)
so as far as I can tell. All is well. Sounds good hooked up to an old Audiomoble 450 car amp.
This is not the more desirable MK 2 version BRW

Regards
David

Last edited:
After going tape-less for almost two decades, I somehow stumbled back into the realm of compact cassettes. Part coincidence, part nostalgia, I have three decks in various stages of disrepair / restoration and a bunch of cassettes that I was given or bought for a quarter apiece. I am a realist about the sound quality, but expect it all to be fun, as it always is with a physical medium.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.