Parts for Garrard 2025

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks sreten. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't find that on a google search.

It looks a little different to the one I've taken off, but it's worth a short (assuming the rest of the unit is in working order).

I'm mainly wanting to record a couple of old records I have, as I've not spun a black circle in many years. Any reason why you wouldn't throw your vinyl at it (and by 'it' do you mean the stylus or the unit as a whole)?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Based on the high 5 - 8g tracking force there aren't any records I would trust to it either. Ceramic cartridges aren't generally known for their fidelity, and because of their high tracking force were often hard on records. For best performance they require a pretty high input impedance as well.

I'd look for a cheap and cheerful table with a magnetic cartridge on it whether or not you are archiving to digital. (or whatever):D

Hi,

The cartridge fitted may not be the same and that sylus might not fit.
My nick-name for such turntables is "acme groove cutter" - self explanatory.

Sound quality is poor and I doubt you have a correct high impedance
input for a ceramic cartridge, it will work into a RIAA stage but likely
overload it.

The only truck I have with such devices is fixing /servicing radiograms
etc where the associated (usually low) record collection is already lost
to high fidelity.

If its only a couple of records I'd find someone to do it for you, its not
as simple as it seems and they likely will have more suitable equipment.

:)/sreten.

kevinkr said:
...because of their high tracking force were often hard on records.

sreten said:
...My nick-name for such turntables is "acme groove cutter" - self explanatory...

That's why I prefer those little disks that are read by light :D.

It does sounds like a much better idea to find someone who'll lend me a decent turntable for a few days. Thanks for the info guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.