Question about older records

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started to collect 1950’s and 60’s HI-FI test and sound effect records. Most of the ones I have are Decca, Audio Fidelity, RCA and Telefunkin. My problem is when I play them on my turntable they sound terrible. Did the older records use a different grove or cutting technique? The music and sounds are clear but there is considerable popping and a bit of hiss. If I play a new 180g record its dead silent. I thought at first it could be the individual record but its everyone I try, some of the records never look like they have been played so its not that they are dirty. Is there a cartridge that I could get that would be better suited for playing them? My current set up is a Rega 3, Mayware formula 4 with a Sony MCX1 Moving coil cartridge. Any advice would be appreciated.

If the previous owner used one of those cheap record changers that tracked at 10 grams the grooves may be damaged despite the record looking good. It's also possible the records just need a good cleaning.

I have a turntable dedicated to mono records and it definitely sounds better and quieter than my stereo player. I'm using a Grado ME+ cartridge on a JVC QLA7 turntable. The Grado is equipped with a 1.0 mil stylus which is claimed to be a better match for the slightly wider grooves of early microgroove LPs and 45s.

The records are all early Stereo copies and all mint. The white sound effects record does not look like it was ever played. I really do not think that the problem is dust or damage to the records.

Attachments

• pict0080-400.jpg
    pict0080-400.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 134
I've run into the same thing, but with slightly earlier mono records, and some early '60s stereo LPs. They look absolutely mint, but no amount of cleaning will fix the problem. IMO, it's groove damage from being played on primitive equipment. Not only do I get a lot of pop and crackle, but mistracking and groove damage on one side or the other. I typically swap out my elliptical stylus for a cheap conical, which reduces the noise a bit, and makes me feel better about the stylus wear, which is undoubtedly much worse going over all that grunge. Just to be sure, I'm going to take a record that's beyond hope, and put it through our industrial ultrasonic cleaner at work- just to see if any of the pops and clicks go away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.