Rega P3 upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
p3-24 motor upgrade.

tt-psu power supply, i think the rega sub platter is more out of round than this supply is accurate, so consider popping the spindle cover off your sub-platter and having the edge skimmed by a1/1000 or so ebfore adding a external PSU.

heed orbit motor psu.

then you have all the rest..

various weight, expressiom, groove tracer, tecnoweight etc.

sub platter, groove tracer, iron audio.

p7 motor: has double belt pulley with alloy pulley.

Acrylic plinth:

ceramic or ruby bearing in main spindle.

arm rewire: various.

dump the plinth and make one from a thick chopping board, mine is on a 50mm laminated birch block, better leading edge definition, deeper and tighter bass.

if you fancy the plinth option shoot me a line and i can email you some pics

simonatwork @hotmaildotcom

Hi
I have done most of the upgrades you have recommended:
1. I rewired the RB 300 and upgraded the RCA's
2. Purchased a subplatter and platter from Frank at Groovetracer
3. Replaced bearing with ruby bearing
4. Replaced feet on plinth with cones.

I am interested in the two other options you mentioned:

1. P7 motor: What is this?
2. New plinth?

Thanks
Neil

neil, the P7 motor is the same as the p3-24 motor, but it comes with a alloy puley with a double belt for same speed operation,so you need a switchable motor control to get 45/33.

the double belt should allow you to get more tension with less slip. but to be honest once the Rega motor is spinning it stays there.

i'd shoot an email to your nearest rega dealer and tell them the pulley has popped off and youve lost it, then ask them for the spare price.

pull the old one off, holding the spindle, carefully, pop the new one on, carefully, put a small dot of superglue on the spindle/puley on the top surface of the pulley, turn it upsdie down and leave it to dry.

hey presto.

P2/P3 Plinth Mod

Hey Neil,
I added two pieces of birch ply securely screwed & glued to the bottom of my P2 plinth after I put a straight edge on the rear of the factory plinth and noticed the corners slightly sagging. Fairly simple and effective.

At the same time I added corner cones from Oregondv on all four corners to better distribute the weight. A more expensive option would be the outrigger style spike bar speakerfeet for speakers that could be adapted to the plinth for more convenient adjustability and wicked look! Also the new VPI HRX mini feet could be adapted....

I also added the VTAF adjustable arm height device to be able to dial in my optimum cartridge performance.
Another possibilty is the Origin Live motor options...
The Funk Firm is rumored to be offering a vector drive system upgrade some time in the near future....
Cheers!
Enjoy your music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.