Kofi Annan in: "Upgradin' the Table!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK gang-- Kofi's on the verge of completing his 300b DRD project and he's considering either a cartridge or a turntable upgrade. Here's the current rig:

Thorens TD-160
Rega RB-250
Dynavector 10x5 high-output moving coil cartridge

I was considering upgrading the cartridge only to another Dynavector MC (I like my current cartridge a lot, but it's time for a retip), but I thought that maybe I'd just grab a new turntable instead as I have been a very, very good boy this year.

Anyway, I'd like to solicit suggestions. I have gone and heard a Rega P4 (which I did not like as much as the Thorens) and a VPI scout (which I thought was pretty damn nice), but I'd like to know what might be a good buy around $1500 or so, less if possible.

I would not rule out a tonearm upgrade, however, so if this would yield the greatest bang / buck ratio, then I'm all for it.

Help a brother, won't you?

Kofi

Well, that's actually a good question. I suppose that since its time to retip, I thought about upgrading the cartridge, which led me to think about upgrading the table overall.

I think the Thorens sounds fine, but I wondered if there was an upgrade I could make (cartridge, arm, table) that would make me go "wow".

I guess I'm not looking for anything in particular. Probably just an excuse to spend money on something I don't really need.

Man. That was a tough one you asked.

Kofi

consider Chadwick mods...

to the Thorens,
I can get you the original recipe, as I am the one who provided it to "the Thorens dept" some time ago from the original article in TAS, about 20 years ago.

That'll cost ya HUGE ;). (probably under $100).

Upgrade the RB250, by adding a good counter weight and stub, about $100. Rewire it as well using Cardas tonearm cable, about $80 for a five foot length of four wires (for a complete cartridge to preamp single length). Get some good quality RCAs, and cartidge clips, about $120.

buy the new Dynavector of your choice (you'll need that anyways, haven't checked the price.

the results:
an arm that is good enough to survive several turntable upgrades
a turntable that'll get you along ways along towards "super deck" status, but not cost like one, and emminently resaleable if you don't like it (the mods are all cheap and easy to do/undo

If you decide at a later date you still want a table, donate the Thorens to me;) Ok, I don't need it, sell it someone who may appreciate it or maybe donate it to diyaudio...

I'd get a used Scout/JMW-9 from A'gon for +/- 1000.00 (usually several available) and a Dyna DV-20XL. You'll be amazed at the improvement.

<i>However</i> (there's always a however), without knowing your rig, your greatest improvement might be your phono stage. If that's the case, the order of importance with your equipment should be phono stage, cart, table, arm.

My main analog setup is:

Deck: VPI Aries 2, JMW 12.5, SDS

Carts: DV-20xl, Denon dl-103, dl103r, dl-103r vdh, Shure V15V mxr

Phono stage: Klyne 6PX, EAR 834p, Acoustech PH1P, Rogue Audio Stealth

And btw, I understand your desire to 'simply improve'. My upgrade path has brought not only better sonics, but much, <i>much</i> quieter vinyl playback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.