rewire Rega P3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to rewire my older Rega P3. It looks like the cable w/ rca connectors goes directly into the base of the arm. Is this a difficult diy? Is there an inexpensive replacement phono cable out there? I am really new to this but the cable on this year P3 looks pretty flimsy and does not have a ground connection and I am getting a slight hum. Thanks for any help

The rb300 arm on your p3 is grounded through the return wire of one of the channels.Not the best way but it is grounded.It is a good idea to replace that cable but better still is to replace the internal wires.Don't do it with cheap offerings,your rb300 already has cheap wires.Make sure that the internal wires will be one piece from headshell to arm cable,without the joint between headshell and internal wires that it has now.If you find the cost too much,then ground the rb300 correctly.Carefully remove the bottom rlastic holder of the arm cable,desolder the black wire you'll see there and solder a separate earth wire on it and make a normal ground connection through it.First thing you'll notice is a more stable imaging as the two channels are now fully symmetrical,and lower noise because of proper grounding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.