Phono levels and gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do I tell how much output I get from my cartridge, I mean if I wanted to put a figure to it. For example, what do I look for if i look at it on a scope?

Another question, what frequency is the gain of a phono preamp taken at because obviously that makes a big difference?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
CD line level spec is 2.0Vrms. (2.828Vpk) Old USA standard (or IHF) line level was considered to be 707mVrms. (1Vpk/0dBu)

I have never bothered to match my diy line level components to either specification, I don't normally switch back and forth between sources in normal use, and a lot of my program material has pk levels that vary all over the place forcing me to reset the volume when I change sources anyway.

The key issue is to make sure that you have sufficient gain available overall to allow you to achieve the maximum spls you desire with the program material (and source) you listen to having the lowest average levels.

Of course your opinion and mileage may vary.;)

kevinkr said:
The key issue is to make sure that you have sufficient gain available overall to allow you to achieve the maximum spls you desire with the program material (and source) you listen to having the lowest average levels.
I can see how this could be a problem if not done right. I think all the above information will help me in doing this and it will also give me a clue where to position my source selector. I don't mind if I'm a little out in the end, I just hope I don't need half a volume control rotation or more to match the sources :eek:

Output is 4mV at 1kHz at 5cm/s

The max groove velocity spec for an LP is 30cm/S. At that level the output of your cartridge will be 24mV @ 1KHz. Most phono preamps operate at around 40dB of gain at 1KHz for levels roughly equal to that of CD players. LP mastering can vary quite a bit though, so you may wish to fine tune it a little.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.