Denon D103R vs Benz Micro MC Gold?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Just wondering which is more suitable for my system. Users of both cartridges comments are appreciated.

While the D103R comes highly recomended, just wondering how the similarly priced Benz Micro MC Gold Cart would stand up against?

My turntable is the Rega P25 with std RB600 arm, phonostage is Pass Pearl with MC pre kit adapted recently, hence my move and question.

Check compliance of both cartridges compared to the weight of the arm. It's imo very important for best results to match the tonearms weight with the compliance of the needle/cart. What's your current cart?

I have a Benz Gold, will put it in the groove again soon, am busy to build a new TT right at this moment, belt drive this time (but i can better say flimsy thread drive) previous one was Direct Drive. It suffered from speed problems, i think bearing is worn by now.

What i can say about the Benz Gold is that is has some laid back sound, but it sounds very good and detailed. It also runs very smooth, better than a previous cheap Ortofon OM10 MM, this one was a little nervous at the beginning of records, it had in my diy tonearm a too soft suspension, the Benz is some stiffer.

henkel said:
How to check the compliance between cart & arm?

My current cart is Ortofon MC1 Turbo.

The compliance is the rate of softness/stiffness of cantilever suspension. To get a good resonance frequency of arm on the record, a specific arm weight fits to the suspension, or vice versa. There are roughly 3 arm masses: light, medium and heavy.
Check "datasheets" or instruction manuals of arm and cart. http://www.vinylengine.com/ has a lot of info. The Denon or Benz should have about the same compliance as your current Ortofon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.