Pics of my preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

A couple of people have emailed me asking for pictures of my Elliott preamp, which I completed over the summer. I only just got my pictures developed, and I decided to post a few of them here since I enjoy seeing others work - particularly some of Peter Daniel’s creations!

Here is a picture of the inside of my preamp, which I built into a 1U rack case from Maplin Electronics. I am using Rod Elliott’s preamp and power supply boards, and a remote control board whose layout I designed. On the right you can also see one of Rod’s rotary shaft extenders. On the left, there is one toroidal transformer for the remote control, and one for the preamp itself (this was not for noise reduction - I couldn’t get the voltages I needed from one component). The Alps volume control pot was from RS components, and includes a small motor and gearbox, which is driven by the remote control board.

Attachments

• pre_inside.jpg
    pre_inside.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,503
I pinched the circuit for the remote control from the service manual for my dad’s Arcam Alpha 6 integrated amp - that way I was sure the control would work with my Arcam CD player handset. The photo below shows the inside of the Alpha 6, the remote control circuit is at the bottom left of the amp.

Attachments

• arcam_alpha_6.jpg
    arcam_alpha_6.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,226
trwh said:

Nothing, I just like seeing what other people have done. :cool:

A bit like your home made PC, here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=94272#post94272

See ya,
Tim. ;)

Yes, my computer is quite good, although I haven't been using it much lately.. the temperature has been over 35, and the computer seems to overheat.. wonder why.. :D

Would you like more pictures of things I have done??

I also like pictures, so if you want your post read by me (why would ya) it better include pictures.. :D

Here is a picture of the almost free heatsink, 5 kg!

Note: You have to be an expert in theory how heat is transported in materials. This heatsink hasn't got the optimum shape of the cooling fins. The cooling properties aren't so good as you could think. But the transient cooling is emormous!

Attachments

• sub_under100pr.jpg
    sub_under100pr.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,867

Attachments

• audience42.jpg
    audience42.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,440
Hey Tim,

That's a very neat looking project you've spun out, pretty dam cool. A mate of mine has just ordered those pre-amp and psu boards to make that pre., looks good to me (hehe, what do i know?).

Anyways, I wondered if you had kept a total cost for the preamp project. Those Maplins cases actaully look kinda smart! This could be a first real project for me.. if my mate's one works out.

Also, apologies if I skimmed and missed it, but how do those amps sound? Particularly compared to commercial kit.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.