The Analogue Addicts Phono Preamplifier 2006 Edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

First a little history.

The original "Analogue Addicts Phono Preamp" may very well be the most popular Phono Stage design on the net, it is certainly talked about and referenced a massive lot. I have seen this cropping up in all sorts of unlikely places.

Originally the design was posted to the UK based "Analogue Addicts" E-Mail list in either 1996 or early 1997, as response to moans that there where no simple phono stages for DIY and nothing affordable and semi-decent to buy.

In the last 10 Years Vinyl has taken a resurgence few would have predicted. In this day and age you cannot throw a brick or swing a cat at a HiFi show without hitting a few Phonostages, from the sub $ 100 NAD PP1 to the sub $ 30,000 Boulder 2008.

Still with all these riches many DIY'ers talk about my little "semi budget" gem from the mid 90's. A republication of a later re-write in article form is found on my (long not updated) website:

The Analog Addicts Phono Preamp

I have of course moved on from this design, nice as it is. However, due to some current commercial work I decided I needed to "roll back" my system into something that is a lot more like commercial mid-priced High End (< $ 20,000 single source system).

I have build a speaker for that Job that pulls together what I liked best in technical terms about the SLS S8R Monitor, the Dynaudio BM15 Studio Monitor and the Sonus Faber Extrema.

I also wanted an "average" Phonostage, now I might be doing the AA Phono a disservice by calling it average, but in many ways it a simple, workman like design, with decent sonics.

Digging around in my fundus of stuff saved for future projects, samples, leftover parts from modification work and so on I had all I needed.

I'll list details about the practical implementation in another e-mail (it is likely quite interesting), short and sweet, while working up a list of the parts I did not readily have (mainly resistors) to pick them up from the local Maplin (sorta like Radioshack UK) I got to think if I had learned anything since the original AA Phono that could be easily applied.

In addition I wanted a simple AC powered solution and I wanted to pick up on some comments that have rolled in since and various discussions and debates since.

So (drumroll), may I introduce to the genteele reader

"THE ANALOGUE ADDICTS PHONO STAGE 2006 EDITION"

Here the signal circuit schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To go with this the powersupply:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll discuss the differences and my implementation more detail later.

For the case I used once salvaged from an ancient, but very well build Hayes modem like this:

The power supply is another IT Services throwout and once supplied a small HP Jinkjet Printer with 30V/400mA DC, I downgraded this unit to an AC only.

Finally, I have quite a number of Preamp Boards from the Shanling SP-80 Monoblocks which I tend to pull out like rotten teeth during mods. As these have space for four regulators, various rectifiers, capacitors and two Op-Amp's (with the PCB Patters alread offering an OPA627 option) and enough space and holes for the pre-pre section in the place that houses the PGA2311 volume control....

I'd show some photos of the implementation, but it's not overly neat.

I encountered one key problem, as originally the case was not screened (alu parts not connected to ground) the MC setting especially tented to pick up noise. I solved this by using screened wiring for the inputs and thereabouts and I also found a way to connect the Alu case sleeve to the screen. There is still some slight sensitivity to external hum fields, but it's now okay enough.

I fitted captive leadouts for the line out and jacks for the inputs. Parts quality is noted on the schematics.

More another day.

Sayonara
Urls death after this long time. From where I can dornload the hosted images?
Is it the circuit from this paper and the attached image?
The Analog Addicts Phono Preamp

Attachments

• AA el Cheapo MM-MCPhono Pre.gif
    AA el Cheapo MM-MCPhono Pre.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 391
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.