PSU connector recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any recommended connector that folks use with separate DC power supplies for TTs (and other components, I guess). I think I'm going to adopt this design with my TT project (currently in planning stages), and my phono stage.

I was thinking of perhaps using an XLR, but don't know if that's wise.

Any recommendations on a good connector?

Neil

Hi,
the locking XLR is an excellent choice. The 3pin has good current capacity and adequate voltage isolation (below mains voltage). The 4pin and 5pin slightly less so.
The screw locking DIN plugs have some similar characteristics but at reduced current and reduced voltage, in return for being much smaller.
Both have a shell that makes contact first to avoid odd voltage going in when you don't expect it.

Connectors

Hi Neil,

Good quality connectors are just as important here, as is good quality cable, and both will have some affect on the sound, believe it or not.

I currently use Mini XLRs, Switchcraft 'Tini Q-G' series, which are made in the 'States, I believe, so you should be able to source these where you are.

They are quite neat devices of about 10mm o'all dia., which also interlock, and are available as panel mounts, or mating in-line versions with cable strain reliefs which are ideal for cable joining.

They are very well made, all metal bodies and precision machined etc., and are available with up to 5 ways per connector, so this should cover any TT PS requirements.

Furthermore, the contacts are silver-plated copper alloy with a resistance of less than 10mR, but will handle up to 5A and 125V AC.

You will find it hard to better these, as I have tried!

Conventional sized XLRs are a bit 'heavy' for your application, I reckon, but these are just as good 'electrically'.

Regards,

You're welcome, Neil, anytime.

I can honestly claim to have had nearly 60 yrs of TT 'modifying', starting at the age of 6 or 7! I could bore you with the details of the very first time, as I still remember it well.

Seriously, I have learned a little bit along the way, and (time permitting) I am always happy to share some of these experiences/findings, sometimes good or often bad, with anyone who asks.

Regards,
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.