Ben Duncan's AMP 01

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Ben D. used opamps that seemed to be just reaching the market at that time. All VERY expensive.
By now most of these will be a lot cheaper both in actual cost and in real terms. I suspect a few of them can be replaced with better more modern alternatives.

Have you tried the library archive?

Hi Tom,

The amp 01 is a 3 ic design with mixed active/passive riaa eq. It has/had switched gain to cater for mc and mm carts as well as an option for balanced/unbalanced input. PM me if you want more info on his amp 02 and passive pre articles.

Cheers,
Steve.

tmblack said:
No libraries around here carry issues that far back.
But I just need to know the topography used.
Was it a 2 op amp passive design?

Tom

EE

If you know the issue in question you can order it from the Document Supply Centre in Boston Spa via your local library.
In London, The Science Museum library and the British Library both carry back issues of HFNRR going back to at least the 70's. The IEEE library might also carry it.

BTW, If you want to build the AMP02 phono stage tracking down the SSM2016 might prove tricky.

I don't know about the AMP01 but I built the AMP02 many years ago.

It had an error on the pcb whiich caused dc offset at the o/p of the SSM2016, although even when this was corrected the sound was not great.

The SSM2017 actually sounds better than the 2016 and is much easier to apply.

I have full set of AMP02 articles but would not recommend expending any effort on this project - there are many better sounding and much simpler RIAA stages around.

Dave

Hi Tom,

The AMP02 sounded better when the 2016 was replaced by a 2017. AD845 is also not one of my favourite opamps.
Unfortunately I used silver plated ptfe wire (before I knew better)for the balanced tonearm cable with my Amp02 - this gave a rather bright and spitty sound quality. Reverting to a "normal" arm cable in unbalanced mode gave much better results and hum was never an issue anyway (why try to solve a problem that does not exist?).

A JLH discrete RIAA stage sounded better that the AMP02 (and very similar to a Linn Kairn phono stage). In fact any competently designed 2 or 3 stage phono amp using decent opamps (e.g. AD797, OP27/37 or even NE5534 ) sounds better that the AMP02 IMHO.

What to build instead?
I'm not sure - I rarely listen to records nowadays. Maybe best to look for recommendations from somebody like Werner.

Cheers,

Dave

Revisiting the Amp-02 ADEQ......

I've had my ADEQ having built it at the time of the original issue, and have enjoyed it greatly. Ive had to revisit setting it up due to a cartridge change, and am interested to read Dave S's comments of a PCB error of which i was not aware - If you are still about here can you let me know of the error details?. While its apart I would d like to correct it while setting the gain for the the new cart.

I've aways been happy with mine, using it as the phono stage for a pair of Leak TL25's with a simple volume control pot on the output as detailed in the construction notes.

Chris C

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.