Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Active crossovers - opamps vs DSP
Active crossovers - opamps vs DSP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2019, 03:48 AM   #61
madisonears is offline madisonears  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
OPamp XO = your system is officially a two dimension world with a single cross over point and theoretical curves, nothing will fix timing, nothing will address peaks, bass boost will be required and you will hear a very 1d sound = un-involving at best.
This is an incorrect generalization. I use hybrid active/passive xovers with multiple xover freq's and curves. It is difficult to implement compensation for inadequate drivers, but there is definitely accurate tonality and a very real sense of depth and space.

Peace,
Tom E
Old 4th April 2019, 04:00 AM   #62
cacao ambiance is offline cacao ambiance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

jplesset yes but being able to tweak things on the go, is useful for portable setups that are in various, different environments. I built my own food tub computer using a a10 SBC and lcd module. lot of work, not that reliable... a small netbook is easier but a arm SBC would be more efficient than a x86 laptop. ease wins in the end, this time.

for a not-x86, more efficient generic computer thing for dsp, I would fancy a dedicated dsp product made using eoma68 computer cards . that way the $$$$$ soc, ram, hard to make computer bit is on standardized module that goes it a nice housing with the features that we want:
  • flexible battery power input
  • very low noise usb DAC and ADC
  • un/balanced ins/outs
  • touch screen
  • programmable level adjustment pots/nobs. ie vol, bass, mid, trebble,sub.
  • for more processing power, swap out the computer card :P
  • new more efficient computer card comes out? upgrade to that to save some watts
  • wifi remote access, monitor, control.
  • dsp and mixxer
  • small always on oled screen with spectrum graph display thing
EOMA68 Computing Devices | Crowd Supply
If a fancy dsp eoma68 housing existed, I would like to buy or pledge for it .

Last edited by cacao ambiance; 4th April 2019 at 04:05 AM.

Active crossovers - opamps vs DSPHide this!Advertise here!