Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Active crossovers - opamps vs DSP
Active crossovers - opamps vs DSP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2019, 05:17 AM   #51
bogdan2011 is offline bogdan2011
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
I have built op-amp crossovers in the past. I graduated to a DSP one running on a pi for the simplicity and flexibility. I don't feel I've lost by the exchange. Sound is at least as good, and my system is much simpler.
Is the pi also the source?
How did you handle all the inputs/outputs?
Old 26th March 2019, 03:56 PM   #52
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, in my case the pi is the source. Standard Ubuntu dist, mpd, ecasound, and all that. Only source in use is my remote filesystem flac files via ethernet. Output to a cheap usb sound card, 7.1. Using 6 of the 8 outputs.
Old 26th March 2019, 04:42 PM   #53
bogdan2011 is offline bogdan2011
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
Yes, in my case the pi is the source. Standard Ubuntu dist, mpd, ecasound, and all that. Only source in use is my remote filesystem flac files via ethernet. Output to a cheap usb sound card, 7.1. Using 6 of the 8 outputs.
Neat! Was thinking of something similar, but I also want to use other sources.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:48 PM   #54
Shawnstium is offline Shawnstium  United States
diyAudio Member

The miniDSP 2x4 HD isn't the best option for tri-amping, but would be ideal for bi-amping (one will need a 2 way passive crossover for the tweeter/mid if they wanted to make a 3 driver system). Two miniDSP 2x4 kits would be the cheapest route using their products for a 3 way design. Check out Stereo 3/4way Xover to see which units they recommend.
Dayton audio has the DSP-408 4x8 DSP on parts-express for $150 that could also be used for tri-amping.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:38 PM   #55
richardr is offline richardr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Marchand X-M9

I use one for a subwoofer and it was their lowest price x-over when I bought it. Good enough for bass not for mid and treble.
Old 28th March 2019, 06:22 AM   #56
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

IMHO DSP is great for development because it is quite and flexible, and one can switch back and forth without changing anything hardware.
But once the design is done, many choose to emulate the digital solution by analogue ones.
And that was a statement by some very experienced professionals developing their own digital solutions.
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
(post #98695)
There are not many crossover designs that can only be done digitally.

The choice is of course not restricted to DSP vs opamp.
I have seen systems completely done with a PC in MatLab.
And in my own (analogue) attempt, I have now replaced most IC opamps (at unity gain) with discrete JFET followers.
A Modular Analogue Active Crossover Filter Solution
B1-Turbo on a Chip
(post #136)

And for the few modules where opamp is a must, a discrete dual opamp come to the rescure.
Discrete Opamp Open Design
(post #3333)

There is a lot more fun doing your own, and they cost also less than any commercial offering.
The modular design makes it even more flexible.

Cheers,
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 181020 Duelund 3W Act XOvr.JPG (310.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 4th April 2019, 01:36 AM   #57
cacao ambiance is offline cacao ambiance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ive been wondering about power consumption. My interest is battery power setups.

Which is lower power? Old car dsp units (alpine h701/h700) seam to use 10w+~, i forget exactly. Old analogue car equalizers use quite a bit of power too... i need to measure and write down results...
there was a seller of analogue crossover board on ebay... been wondering what the power consumption of it would be? i can dig the link up if interested.

DSP can do time correction, which is quite an advantage.... something i only am just starting to play with. for 4.1 speaker setups.

for the price and power consumption of these dsp units, one could use a old laptop running gnu/linux and jack or Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Old 4th April 2019, 01:46 AM   #58
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Passive XO = a good compromise, can be misunderstood by most diy's, this is like alchemy, the limit is your imagination.

OPamp XO = your system is officially a two dimension world with a single cross over point and theoretical curves, nothing will fix timing, nothing will address peaks, bass boost will be required and you will hear a very 1d sound = un-involving at best.

DSP = you lose most of your precious bits of your precious high resolution digital file to be transform with mathematical formulas into something completely different from the original, sensitivity is cut by at least 3 to 6 db, noise floor is way higher, you never heard digital sound until you turned on DSP filters, like having a marathon with one leg runners.
Old 4th April 2019, 02:07 AM   #59
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

cacao ambiance, I would be tempted to use a Raspberry PI instead of a laptop. Cheap enough, small enough, and plenty powerful enough for your DSP needs. Runs on 5v, so power supply is easy. Cost in the US, $35
Old 4th April 2019, 03:13 AM   #60
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
DSP = you lose most of your precious bits of your precious high resolution digital file to be transform with mathematical formulas into something completely different from the original, sensitivity is cut by at least 3 to 6 db, noise floor is way higher, you never heard digital sound until you turned on DSP filters, like having a marathon with one leg runners.
As Wolfgang Pauli once said: "That is not only not right, it is not even wrong."

Active crossovers - opamps vs DSPHide this!Advertise here!