Active crossovers - opamps vs DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OPamp XO = your system is officially a two dimension world with a single cross over point and theoretical curves, nothing will fix timing, nothing will address peaks, bass boost will be required and you will hear a very 1d sound = un-involving at best.

This is an incorrect generalization. I use hybrid active/passive xovers with multiple xover freq's and curves. It is difficult to implement compensation for inadequate drivers, but there is definitely accurate tonality and a very real sense of depth and space.

Peace,
Tom E

jplesset yes but being able to tweak things on the go, is useful for portable setups that are in various, different environments. I built my own food tub computer using a a10 SBC and lcd module. lot of work, not that reliable... a small netbook is easier but a arm SBC would be more efficient than a x86 laptop. ease wins in the end, this time.

for a not-x86, more efficient generic computer thing for dsp, I would fancy a dedicated dsp product made using eoma68 computer cards :). that way the $$$$$ soc, ram, hard to make computer bit is on standardized module that goes it a nice housing with the features that we want:
  • flexible battery power input
  • very low noise usb DAC and ADC
  • un/balanced ins/outs
  • touch screen
  • programmable level adjustment pots/nobs. ie vol, bass, mid, trebble,sub.
  • for more processing power, swap out the computer card :p
  • new more efficient computer card comes out? upgrade to that to save some watts :D
  • wifi remote access, monitor, control.
  • dsp and mixxer
  • small always on oled screen with spectrum graph display thing
EOMA68 Computing Devices | Crowd Supply
If a fancy dsp eoma68 housing existed, I would like to buy or pledge for it :D.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.