teac MB-20- need VU bulbs

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dynamic Technology Group
VU Meter axial lamp bulb 8 volts 55 mA for Teac and Tascam and many ot – Tascam Ninja

I have no idea who these people are, but they do seem to know the machine (not generic lamps).

While I am fond of the vintage incandescent glow, it's the 21st century and those hot-wire lamps have gone out of style. Get White LEDs and some 1k or 10k resistors. See how you can glue an LED to light the meter. This is one place where SMD may be easier than through-hole. You can probably feed this from your 6.3V AC but it will flicker and buzz. Tascams usually have a source of clean 24V DC. This will want 10k series resistor, maybe even two in series (20k). If it don't light, reverse the polarity.

You can hack a 2700K 12 volt strip to get an old style warm white colour.
The strips have cut marks and a drop resistor every three or four LEDS on the strip.
Cut for 12 or 6 volts, use series resistor and diode, one on each side, reverse if needed.
The strips are common, and are available in 40, 60, 90 and 120 lamps (LEDs) per meter. Used in decorative lighting, and much easier to use than mounting SMD purchased individually.
They run about $1 per meter on wards here, supply extra, 5 or 10 meter reels.
So for $5 I get 60 x 5 = 300 LEDs, quite cheap!

thank you all- my skills are limited to soldering im afraid- update-found the blown fuse and replaced it- tryed fitting these- see below-they are brighter and peak lights stayed on - when i put in number 4 the fuse blew- removed all and replaced fuse- peak lights normal again- the circuit must be senitive to draw/load?

-https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324114190792?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649