Preamp output impedance

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have a Technics SA-R210 receiver with preamp outputs. I was going to use this to power external amps. I checked the output impedance and it is 38k, that just seems super high.
I checked it by putting in a 1khz sine wave and adjusting the volume to get 2vac at the preamp output with no load, except the dvm. Putting a 38k load drops it to 1vac.

Is this typical for these receivers?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
LMGTFY.

It looks to me that you may have grossly overloaded the input with 2V?
There's no CD input here so where did you inject the signal?
BTW This is from the SA120.

Jan

Attachments

• 120.PNG
    120.PNG
    613.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
LMGTFY.

It looks to me that you may have grossly overloaded the input with 2V?
There's no CD input here so where did you inject the signal?
BTW This is from the SA120.

Jan

It does have a CD input, you looking at the wrong receiver. As I said in the original post it is an SA-R210.
I did not inject 2v, I injected about 0.5v and used the volume control to bring the preamp output to 2v.

NO WAY a SS preamp has such high output impedance.

Perfect for an unbuffered 12AX7 triode stage (100k load resistance in parallel with internal 68k or so) but it´s clearly not the case.

In my own Guitar amps I *add* a 4k7 resistor in series with preamp out, so 2 100W heads can be used together onstage simply by paralelling their preamp outs with a plain Guitar cable with no further complications (the resistors act as mixing resistors and both preamps are combined and driving both power amps at the same time) but notice I have to add it on purpose.

And even so I have 4k7 output impedance, which is very reasonable.

38k reminds me of 60´s Ampeg and Fender amps, which could so be combined, but nothing "modern" and certainly not SS.
If having enough time and patience, the OP might trace path backwards to last Op Amp or Transistor found, also measuring any resistor in the path.

Just thinking aloud: any Electrolytic in the path might be drier than the Sahara Desert.