Three channel stereo decoder processor reccomendation?

Hey all, i'm experimenting a bit with three-channel stereo on my next DIY speaker build. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel i was wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations for a decent surround sound decoder i could pick up used on ebay for say less than $150. I'm hoping to find electronics that attempt to create a true center channel, and left/right outputs from a standard stereo audio source. And not do the simple Center = L+R, L=L-R, R=R-L scheme often seen for simple setups. I think something like dolby pro logic II would do something like this, but to be honest that was a bit before my interest in audio and i'm having trouble understanding exactly what it's doing from reading online, and what products would be a good choice since they're a bit old now. Hoping to tap in to some knowledge here on the forum!

Just to clarify on my hopeful output of this box:
  • a mono signal (same signal on left and right channels) only comes out the center channel
  • a signal panned hard left, will only come out of the left channel (not left + center as you would get with the hafler/dynaco style center+L/R decode)

oh, and if it was able to be smaller than a full sized A/V receiver/amp combo that would be great, as I'm just after line level outs. But hey, i'll take what i can get!

thanks!!!

Last edited:
You should be able to find Dolby Pro Logic decoder boxes on ebay; that would be the easiest option; you may find such boxes locally at pawn shops or used audio dealers. But it'd be easier to pick up an old AVR locally; almost anything will include Dolby Pro Logic. Some AVRs included preamp outputs. It might be feasible to extract the DPL processor board, if either a service manual for the AVR is available or a data sheet for the chip. There's probably a sweet spot in the years between Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital where the surround chip was highly integrated but not so complex that it depends on software to configure it.