DIY shielded signal cables

Hi!

I want to make my own shielded RCA signal cables, short lengths from DAC to preamp, and from preamp to poweramp. There are probably many threads discussing this, but I am having trouble finding appropriate lengths and deciding cable type.

Can anyone help? Where to buy, and what cable construction types and conductor material is the best way to go? I am thinking cooper, but should I go coaxial or what is most cost effective solution?

It would be nice if it could also be used for internal amp signal wiring.

I appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:
Use Belden RG-59 75ohm coax myself.

9259 is the nicer stuff to work with, soft flexible PVC outer and Polyethlene foam insulator. Can be bought in Black or Red or a variety of other colours.

89259 is more rigid, uses FEP outer and insulator, shiny black exterior.

Both have the same copper conductor and shield, and the same electrical attributes with ~17pf/ft capacitance.

Attachments

• IMG_9225.jpg
    IMG_9225.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_9224.jpg
    IMG_9224.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Use Belden RG-59 75ohm coax myself.

9259 is the nicer stuff to work with, soft flexible PVC outer and Polyethlene foam insulator. Can be bought in Black or Red or a variety of other colours.

89259 is more rigid, uses FEP outer and insulator, shiny black exterior.

Both have the same copper conductor and shield, and the same electrical attributes with ~17pf/ft capacitance.

Very nice.
Can I ask where you got the connectors/contacts?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Do you want to connect the plugs to a prefab wire (coax or not), or do you want to build the cabe, too?

Mogami 3082 is highly regarded (and 2520 looks and feels very very nice—white/pale rose and very soft), and there is DIY Silver RCA Interconnect Cables

I tried the latter option—rather expensive, but fun. I then tried to „counter-proof“ it and twisted a pair of enameled copper wire—works too...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For analog RCA interconnects, there are many suitable coax cables from major bulk cable manufacturers.
Two primary factors:
a] outside diameter needs to fit the chosen connector.
b] heavy braided shield.

Save the shielded pair & quad cables for XLR balanced interconnects.

For analog RCA interconnects, there are many suitable coax cables from major bulk cable manufacturers.
Two primary factors:
a] outside diameter needs to fit the chosen connector.
b] heavy braided shield.

Save the shielded pair & quad cables for XLR balanced interconnects.
This. Go with the best braided shield (lowest DCR and highest coverage %) you can find, in the size that fits. Nothing else really matters.

Hum Rejection in Unbalanced Audio Cables -- Blue Jeans Cable

EDIT: Uh, if you don't have good crimping tools, try to stick with connectors that can be soldered.

What do you guys think of this? Double screen.

In stock by the meter:

Mogami 2964 Coaxial, Miniaturkabel, 75 Ohm, O 4,8 mm | cma audio GmbH

What do you think about the DCR? 0R083 per meter inner shield, 0R011 per meter outer shield.

Capacitance a nice low 19pf/feet.

Other things that look good/bad? Is this a go to? Supposed to be super flexible.

2520 is out of stock, but it actually has more capacitance and higher dcr.

What do you guys think of this? Double screen.

In stock by the meter:

Mogami 2964 Coaxial, Miniaturkabel, 75 Ohm, O 4,8 mm | cma audio GmbH

What do you think about the DCR? 0R083 per meter inner shield, 0R011 per meter outer shield.

Capacitance a nice low 19pf/feet.

Other things that look good/bad? Is this a go to? Supposed to be super flexible.

2520 is out of stock, but it actually has more capacitance and higher dcr.

Shield resistance seems to be middling but pretty good relative to size; compare it to the ones in the Blue Jeans Cable article I linked above. 0.011 R/m is about 3.35 R / 1000 feet. Not sure if the inner and outer shields are in direct electrical contact but even if so, the DCR would be 2.96 R / 1000 feet. May still work well in your application but you decide if it's good enough vs other factors (cost, flexibility, availability, etc.)

Last edited: