LME49710NA Pre Amp vs. OPA 627

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. Been quite a few years since I have listened to anything due to health issues and other rough patches. This past year I decided to try to get back into listening. So I have built a few Dyna ST 70's using VanAlstine boards and enjoy the sound. Was pondering on getting a Preamp off ebay, since funds are very tight. I did find a unit that appears to be dual mono design with tone controls. Appears to be straightforward and comes with op amps. The seller claims that the op amps can be switched. I can order the unit with LME49710NA op amps or OPA 627's. I have no knowledge on the difference and hope someone can honestly point me in the right direction. Basically need to know if I can switch out op amps like I do tubes in the Dynaco St 70. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi
Glad to hear you are coming back to old hobby :) Yes, you can roll opamps like tubes, well if they are the same type though. LME49710 and OPA627 are single opamps in package, so you need for others of that type. You'll find lots of info on the forum about that. I personally would get the LME49710 with this preamp, that's because OPA627 is expensive part and nobody trusts ebay sellers to provide geniue parts. Go with the cheapest option and buy the opamps on your own from reputable vendors. If you'll have more cash to spend someday, take a look on discrette opamps like Sparkos Labs etc.

In this day and age I would forget about the OPA627. It was always far too expensive for practical use, and its specifications have been exceeded by several opamps at normal prices for a decade or so.

The e-bay listing is bizarre. How can it be a power amp with 600 ohm output impedance and no specified output power? What is a class A power supply? How can it have 3 band tuning when it isn't a tuner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.