OPA2134 Stability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well the power supply decoupling caps do need GND. Which can be done with a wire if you want the decoupling caps on the adapter PCB closest as possible to the IC pins as required with fast opamps.

Wire - Wikipedia

DIL opamps don't have a GND pin so if you want to be compatible with an existing socket on an existing board created by someone else, you won't find a pin connected to GND.

It will be compatible as anything on many boards created by whatever person provided there is a GND point nearby but this is more rule than exception on PCB's with DIL opamps, with just the addition of a thin wire. Since SMD-to-DIP adapters don't win beauty contests anyway the wire won't be an obstacle. It is just practical design, you could of course try it out and see if you can use it in your designs.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Or design the adapter to have power supply decoupling caps and solder a small wire from the adapters included "GND point" (i.e. the point where both decoupling caps meet and nothing else) to a nearby GND point. It seems a revolution isn't it :D I should have patented it.

Last edited:
That was an interesting challenge. According to this post the model for LM4562 is broken in LTSpice. There is another model, for the LME49710 that does work as well as a fixed model for the LM4562. Both give the same results. I don't trust them as the OPA gives totally different results. Or maybe the LM(E) chips are just much faster still than the OPA. Whichever the case, there is no overshoot so that is good.

The LM4562 has a bipolar input stage, and a bipolar differential pair goes into clipping somewhere around 52 mV. Hence, a 1 V step is bound to drive the input stage into clipping. Clipping of the input stage causes slew-rate limiting of the complete op-amp, as your simulations show.

My experience with the 2134 is that it doesn't like being used as a unity gain buffer. It is perfectly happy as a unity gain inverter (like in tone control circuits). I also used it in a non-inverting gain stage with a voltage gain of 1.4 with no problems.

I have successfully configured it as a unity gain buffer with a few extra parts (couple of resistors and ceramic capacitors).

I built a prototype of this circuit Project 99 - Subsonic Filter with op amp sockets. I tested three op amps in the circuit: NE5532, LM4562, and OPA2134.

Does it help to put a little RC low-pass filter (220 ohm- 220 pF or so) at the input? The left op-amp then sees a low source impedance at high frequencies. I didn't have any stability problems the (only few) times I used an OPA2134 as a voltage follower, but I usually had an RC low-pass at the input.

The LM4562 has a bipolar input stage, and a bipolar differential pair goes into clipping somewhere around 52 mV. Hence, a 1 V step is bound to drive the input stage into clipping. Clipping of the input stage causes slew-rate limiting of the complete op-amp, as your simulations show.
HOLD THE PHONE!! You seem to be saying that every LM4562 CLIPS with an input signal >52mV. That cannot be true.

I hope to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll use the 2134 where it's worked best for me before.

I have a couple of suggestions.

I do not know, but I believe the OPA2134 has a common-emitter output stage. If that is true, then its gain is proportional to the load, and if the output is unloaded, then the gain becomes too high for the compensation. Each op amp should have some reasonable load to ground on its output. 10K ohm for instance. If you look at the buffer circuit Mark Johnson showed in post #4, it has 5.6K ohm to ground on the output.

It is also possible that the 2nd filter in Rod Elliott's circuit is too capacitive a load for the 1st op amp. 50 ohms in series with C4 should take care of that without screwing up the filter alignment. I doubt that this is the problem.

Only try the second fix if the first one doesn't work. I think some loading to GND on each output is the cure.

Last edited:
Marcel is talking about the size of the input error voltage, not the size of the signal. If the step is fast enough, the amp cannot keep up, and the error voltage can exceed 52 mV. This is the correct number for bipolar inputs with no emitter degeneration. The amplifier will go to its full slew rate to attempt to minimize the error voltage.

He is not really talking about anything destructive here. This is how op amp slew rates are tested. Square wave inputs to an op amp buffer will always cause this to happen.

The simulation of post #10 was done with a 10 ns rise time, but any rise time that leads to a dv/dt greater than the slew rate limit will do. The slew rate limit for an LM4562 is 20 V/us typical, so with a 1 V step, anything below 50 ns does the trick.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.