Repurposed crossover for sub wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is my first post here. Hopefully, I've posted in the correct forum.

I'm salvaging a polk subwoofer with a blown amp by trying to convert it to a passive sub.

I have a crossover out of a Bose Acoustimass 5 series ii subwoofer.

The crossover has inputs and outputs for both right and left since the bose sub had two drivers.

The Polk sub has one driver.

Should I connect both the right and left outputs of the crossover to the one driver?

Thank you for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_9146.JPG
    IMG_9146.JPG
    800.1 KB · Views: 84
Yes, they are glorified light bulbs.

I have a couple pairs of Bose speakers. I experimented with them, using equalization and room placement to try to get them to sound acceptable. The 301 was especially curious. It is very difficult to get any kind of soundstage (coherent stereo illusion) out of these speakers. I had to hang them from the ceiling in just the right spot to accomplish this. But even more unusual was the transient behavior of these speakers. Once set up, you can play them moderately loud and they sound OK. But try to turn them a little louder and they just fall apart. They sound worse than terrible. You can see those light bulbs flashing to the music inside the cabinets! What a super cheap, hokey design this is. Those stupid light bulbs absolutely ruin the sound of the speakers. But they allow Bose to use the absolute cheapest, crappiest midranges and tweeters they could find.

The 301 is marketed as a speaker appropriate for a component system. It's nothing but expensive junk. I'm pretty sure most people stupid enough to buy them don't bother to set them up properly. What snake oil.

Update: I went ahead and used this bose passive subwoofer crossover in the conversion of my 12-inch sub with a blown amp.

I'm driving it from the pre-out of my main 105w AVR Denon X3100W (repurposed for Stereo listening) through a second Denon amp driving only the sub.

Sounds ok as long as I don't crank up the sub too much. Rounds out the bottom end a little running through my Polk RTI A5's.

The crossover does not seem to filter out as much high-end as I would expect.

Having fun playing around with it. Thank you for the comments. I forget how I acquired the Bose that I parted out. It never did much as a subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.