Loudness Circuit - Modify Pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can I use a 3 pin standard volume control instead of a center tapped 4 pin one in this below circuit.

There is no any 4 pin pots nowadays.Help me to add a 3 pin one.

THanks

Attachments

• audio-loudness-control.jpg
    audio-loudness-control.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 373
Now if it were that easy, everybody would be doing it, wouldn't they?

The fact of the matter is you can't. 4-pin tapped pots tend to be not just uncommon but in fact special order to give the desired loudness response with a specific set of external component values. Guess why none of Rod Elliott's preamp projects includes loudness.

What you could try is Yamaha-style loudness with separate volume and loudness knobs. (You first set maximum volume, than proceed to control desired volume with the loudness control.) That gets by with just ordinary 3-pin pots if memory serves.
While not as easy to use, this approach allows for accommodating different source levels. A single-knob volume/loudness could be implemented perfectly, but loudness accuracy in real life is going to depend on source level (loudness war, anyone?) and speaker sensitivity, neither of which you can control particularly well as a standalone amplifier designer.

The Yamaha RX-900U and other models use a variable loudness control. I wish they had it separate from the volume pot, many times when adjusting the volume the loudness gets changed. I do not use it anyways, run everything flat these days. Only used it for LP's, but that was a long time ago. My LPs are my art collection these days. Pump that bass.

Last edited:
Hi, If you can find them, Radio Shack had some in 100K. They were made by Alps and were inexpensive. They were stereo as well and generally tracked well. The part number is 271-1732. Since it appears that R-S is coming back again from the dead as an on line entity they may be available again or perhaps on the web as NOS. When they had them they were .....just over $5 how times change.

Radio Shack had some in 100K

I have some of these and they're pretty good.

Radio Shack is "coming back" in name only. I get their spam, er emails, regularly. Maybe their stuff is good but I'll never find out. To me they're just another sketchy internet vendor now.

The old Radio Shack promised to never sell your email. Then when they went under they sold your email along with the rights to use their name. That's shady, and dishonest. :mad: No respect for them here, those corporate rat bastards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.