Constant Current Source question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for helping choosing an appropriate constant current source for a discrete op-amp preamp I'm working on. It's a 4mA tail current source for a jfet pair that goes between the jfet source and the negative 15v rail. Obviously a resistor or current limiting diode is the simplest solution. I've also looked at some circuits using a TLV431/transistor/resistor combo but I would have to figure out how to implement it in a negative voltage circuit. I was hoping some of the wizards here can provide some direction.

Use a depletion mode MOSFET, like the DN2540 in either a TO-92 or TO-220 case. A resistor sets it up, and it's a 2-terminal source or sink. If you have about 6V of headroom in the circuit, a cascode version can be made with better characteristics using 2 of the devices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.