Best DIY Preamp II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there's an old topic about this Best DIY preamp, dating almost ten years ago, but I am very curious if there's new input on this subject?

I am considering solid state.

One of the preamps mentioned over there is PassDiy
The last changes on that site date from 15 years ago (there seems to be no more progress)

How does the DIY stuff on that site compare to the commercial stuff like for instance https://www.passlabs.com/products/xp-12/?

And what about the stuff sold over here versus the real stuff

Or what about this?

Context: As a pre before a class D amp. (for streamer connected to a DAC, analog tuner, cd player)

RCA and or XLR inputs/outputs (not necessarily with phono input).

Budget is for discussion, but when I mention "best" it may cost some dimes ; )

Last edited:
A bryston 26 clone might be a nice option, multiple inputs.

Attachments

• bp26pcb-1.jpg
    bp26pcb-1.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 1,943
Yes, you're right.

Ok, so maybe instead of a game of luck where you choose one recommendation for "the best" how about a modular breadboard approach starting with a source selector switch, an attenuator (there's various approaches) and maybe the M2 kit from the diyaudiostore. Ditch the output boards and use the different buffers and see what you like best. Build a simple power supply with Jung/Didden Superregs at the output, or rather the power in for the boards, and you have something going.

Also unfamiliar with, nice to see but how does it sound?

Very good! But I’m biased because it’s my design. Lots of people have built it and the feedback has been great.

The most important part of the preamp is the volume control. The relay attenuator with 128 steps in 0.5dB steps provides almost perfect channel tracking. The relay-based input/output selector supports up to 8 stereo ports. All of this managed by a arduino-compatible processor with LCD display and IR remote control makes it a really sweet package.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.