Bass-Treble potentiometers in Baxandall tone control

Both treble and bass potentiometers can be either the linear or logarithmic type. Sometimes I see diagrams with "logarithmic" and
sometimes with "linear" noted in the diagram and most of the time there is nothing said or written about its type.
Can someone here shed some light upon this subject please? Or supply some links where I can read about it?
Of course I know the difference between those potmeter types :)
but anyway....

the pots can also be Counter Clockwise logarithmic. It all depends on the designers circuit. Passive, active with a gain of 1 or active with a gain of 10. I used to build active Baxandall tone circuits with a gain of 10. This required CCW log pots. Nowadays with dacs and CD players outputting 2 volts a preamp with gain is not required.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bass-Trebble potmeters in Baxandall tone control --- Both treble and bass potentiometers can be either the linear or logarithmic type.....

No. The true Baxandall is usually Linear. (A small S-curve could be more correct, and Bax liked a centre-tap, but we always use linear.)
Baxandall paper, 1952 (2MB PDF)

The James "passive" wants 10% "Audio" taper. (There are some variations but unless you are A Japanese Factory you can't get the odd tapers.)
james tone control - Google Search
James Tone Stack - Analysis
James Tone Stack - Create Your Own Design

Last edited:
No. The true Baxandall is usually Linear. (A small S-curve could be more correct, and Bax liked a centre-tap, but we always use linear.)
Baxandall paper, 1952 (2MB PDF)

The James "passive" wants 10% "Audio" taper. (There are some variations but unless you are A Japanese Factory you can't get the odd tapers.)
james tone control - Google Search
James Tone Stack - Analysis
James Tone Stack - Create Your Own Design

Thanks PRR for supplying those links! :)
Will study them for further use.

i thought linear pots were needed for the active circuits where the tone controls are in the feedback network and log or reverse log employed when the passive tone control circuit is used.

mlloyd1

Wow, that is a really interesting remark. Can you elaborate somewhat more on this please?
The only thing I am aware of is that in audio amplifiers the volume control potentiometer must be logarithmic.

sorry, nope, haven't messed with passive tone controls since early 1970s.
:)
here's a link to one version of the passive circuit:
A quality tone control circuit using opamp and few passive components
you can find the active (feedback) type anywhere.
you can use your favorite simulator to play with resistor ratios to simulate pot rotations.
hint: if you're looking for a good tone control design, look at the APT Preamp manual.

mlloyd1

Wow, that is a really interesting remark. Can you elaborate somewhat more on this please?
The only thing I am aware of is that in audio amplifiers the volume control potentiometer must be logarithmic.

I have always used this one:
baxandal-tone-control-and-formula.gif