Amp and CD player both without volume controls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The preamplifier I am looking for is very hard to find but I'll wait. In the meantime I would like to listen to my CDs.

Neither my amplifier nor my DC player have a volume control, I think I need a passive volume control, something simple and inexpensive.

Any recommendations?

Simple is what JLH put in front of some of his amplifier designs including ones I built as all my own design preamps were minimal design (no volume controls ) .

While John used higher value volume controls ( up to 100K ) you could use a much lower value followed by a 680nf capacitor , in my case an expensive HV Polypropylene one (large ) but again you could go cheaper but I am not a fan of electrolytic capacitor inputs .--

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Electronics-Today-UK/80s/Electronics-Today-1984-07.pdf

Scroll down to John,s 80Watt classic mosfet power amp --page 46.

Too slow to post didn't know you cant build an audio circuit.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's no problem :) I'll have a think but I don't see anything cheap and cheerful tbh. The stuff on eBay seems to be around £30 to 40 in UK money while a diy option would be around £1 :)

(and maybe its a chance to learn... and we can give you all the advice you need if you do... because soldering is a skill that has to be acquired ;))

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-13 195837.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-13 195837.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot 2020-09-13 195851.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-13 195851.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 156
According to the advert there is no ACTIVE components in this pre-amp therefore there are signal losses going through it ,even putting that aside ,and its early in the morning and I have probably missed something vital could you please explain how a MC signal of say =200microvolts can drive a power amp which (usually ) has a 500millivolt to several volts input ?

I have built a JLH amp with 150millivolt input but he was an exception in relation to standard inputs of say =0.775 millivolts to 1 volt or more .

CD yes okay but a passive RIAA preamp for MC ?

That looks nice , I like the old school chrome on/off switch I have many original ones.
It looks like a work of art and the sound reproduction 355F1 ?

Japan made some very good record decks/ cartridges /amplifiers/loudspeakers etc although China has taken over many factories and transferred business there , what are the specs of it ?

It is a phono preamplifier built by Ken Uesugi of Soundgate/Otomon Lab in Japan. It uses a Tango power transformer and a choke, WE396A, (5670) in phono stage, Output tube is 6DJ8. It has a volume control, and separately a Tamura step up transformer, so it can be used with MC carts. It is for a pure vinyl setup.

High quality parts. This was a special order, the power supply was designed separately to prevent hum and noise.

The MC step up transformer is separated, it can be used with another MC step up trans. It is a rather a handmade looking piece, it is rated at 100VAC, I have a Hammond 1.5 KVAC step-up transformer.

Last edited:
Its the first piece of electronic equipment I am actually jealous of - looks great and "handmade " to me is a BIG plus .

You could enter it to the Manhattan NYC Museum of Modern Art and it would win a prize.

No problem with the 100 AC as I have various step down encased with US sockets transformers.

Hi Duncan,

I have received a message from Schiit:

"Hello,

If you're using a phono preamp or internal phono preamp with your turntable then you can connect the phono preamp to the other input of the Sys. The Sys is a simple 2 way input switch, potentiometer (volume control), and passive preamp. It will not act as a phono preamp for your turntable".

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

All the Best,
Tom E.

Hi,

The preamplifier I am looking for is very hard to find but I'll wait. In the meantime I would like to listen to my CDs.

Neither my amplifier nor my DC player have a volume control, I think I need a passive volume control, something simple and inexpensive.

Any recommendations?

You can get these on eBay for less than $10. I use one ahead of a Henry Matchbox (ballanced / unballanced converter)
for test signals from the computer. Works just fine. I believe mine uses 10K pots though they mismarked the input and
output connectors. With an ohm meter there will be no resistance change on the input side as you turn the knob. The output
side will vary from 0 at full CCW to the pot value at full CW. This would hold you until the final solution.

Attachments

• level control.jpg
    level control.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.