PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Raspberry PI users who are thinking about adding an SMPS filter between the official Raspberry Pi 5.1V SMPS, and the RPI circuit board ....

Perhaps in a few months you may decide to try one of the "Sony VFET Single Ended PowerAmp" SMPS filters, except on your 5.1V Raspberry Pi SMPS instead of your 36V VFET Power Amp SMPS. I just sent off my PCB Gerber files to manufacturing today, for a 6A & 48V filter to serve the Sony VFET Power Amp. If this filter works as expected, its DC resistance from input to output is pretty low: 0.04 ohms. It might conceivably be useful for Raspberry Pi filtering duty too. If your Raspberry Pi draws 3 amperes, that's an input to output drop of 0.12 volts. Whether 3 amps is reasonable, and whether 0.12V is acceptable, is completely YOUR decision (of course). Give it a think, maybe.

The boards arrived yesterday. It even came with a little holder to display them.

Anyone who has already reserved their boards, pm me with your addresses please. I still have eight to give away. I am only asking for people to cover the cost of postage.

If anyone has a child who might like the holder, I'll add that to their package. First come, first served.

Attachments

• 20201114_071103.jpg
    20201114_071103.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 677
I just want to thank konst for the PCB.

Got around to building it and was going to use a Zippo box but chickened out and used a little Hammond box which is more suitable and robust for the application.

I did previously build one on a prototype board that included a split supply (after the filter) with a virtual ground. Compared it to a ESP P43 that was being used in a stereo to mono mixer/buffer and worked out to be a very quiet supply whereas the P43 had a little hum.

Attachments

• RZ_SMPS_filter.jpg
    RZ_SMPS_filter.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 685
  • RZ_SMPS_filter_virt_grd.jpg
    RZ_SMPS_filter_virt_grd.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 683
I got the ordered PCB:s today and the other components as well. First built filter was added to my RPi 2 Spotify music server.

It is powered from an ordinary USB adapter and there is quite a difference between the noise from the USB adapter and what is fed to the Pi.
There is only a 32 mV voltage drop over the filter when playing Whiskey in a Jar by Thin Lizzy, I guess other song will be about the same drop ;)

How does it sounds? Absolutely beautiful! But on the other hand, it did that even before i added the filter.

audiofilter.jpg

I currently have two remaining boards going free to the first taker. Most of this batch are already on their way. Unfortunately, my household is having to self-isolate whilst waiting for a swab result, so the last three packages are going to be held up until I can get out to post them.

All of the first lot of 30 boards have gone to their new homes now. I have had further enquiries since then though, so I'm willing to place another order if there's enough interest. As before, I'm happy to cover the cost of the boards. I will only ask people to pay for the shipping costs.

I'll place an order for the boards once the numbers of boards requested is greater than 20.