PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

Dear All,

I just ordered at diyaudiostore the DC filter. I want to use it with the B1 Korg I built (diyaudiostore full kit).

I get confused with so many options and it is difficult for me to find the male and female jacks I need to connect it between wall wart and B1 Korg.
Can you adrress me to the right Mouser catalog numbers?

Thanks for your help

Renato

@Mark Johnson
thanks again for your hint and your design .... now it is better with thicker traces and 2oz. :)

IMG_5821D_kl.jpg

Should anyone be interested I have three left please message me. ;-)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's DIY! Do whatever you want and enjoy the hobby.

I myself wouldn't add extra capacitors to the output, fearing unwanted resonance with the self inductance of the big electrolytics. See Bob Cordell's book, Figure 16.7 in the 1st edition / Figure 19.7 in the 2nd edition.

But if you've got both the know-how and the measurement gear to test whether you're getting resonance or not, then please go right ahead and try the idea. It may be resonance-free and also improve the filtering. It may be resonance-free and do nothing for the filtering. It may resonate. The only way to really know is to try it.

thank you Mark :)

as I don't have neither the knowledge nor the oscilloscope to test... I won't do that... or wait for other curious people better equipped then me will try and report
... but that is quite interesting (amazing book... )

1656432638759.png

so, if I add R1 to C3 then that should limitate possible resonances of C2? nice!

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has already been asked but I have a newbie question: Should I be concerned with SQ when combining a smps wall wart and this DC filter together in a small enclosure? Any issues to be concerned about? I have purchased five of these DC filters for several different components. Pic below is one mock up in a tin enclosure for a 12v/500mA load to see if they would fit together (filter board will be place on other side to minimize runs). Was planning to line the inside walls with Kapton tape. Will be running a new plug and cable to outlet and a different 12" long DC cable to component. Thanks and happy 4th

IMG_3293.jpeg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
One important reason why DIYers use wall adapters, is that they avoid bringing potentially lethal AC mains wiring inside the DIY chassis. The photo in #916 appears to show AC mains wiring in a metal enclosure -- exactly the opposite of what we want. It could be extremely dangerous and I recommend abandoning the idea immediately.

Reactions: 2 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@mr_macgee Removing the wall wart from it’s electrically insulating plastic part which includes an insulated and safe AC wall connection and then placing that into a small and flimsy ungrounded metal box is a very bad and dangerous idea, kapton or not. I am worried about both electrical shocks and fire safety.

As Mark properly suggests, keep the wall wart a wall wart, keep the AC happily contained in the properly engineered and insulated wart enclosure, and put the filter close to the load.

I strongly recommend that you do not put the AC and SMPS in the small metal tin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Mark,

Very good point, I will adhere to your recommendation and thanks for getting back to me. I would remove that pic above if I could.

While in a proper and safe grounded enclosure, is there any issues SQ wise having both the smps and the dc filter together near each other? Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user