PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

ranshdow:
Board appears to match the schematic.

RE: 0.6 traces. I noted what I think are some ways to get more trace width on the attached screen shots. Don't know if they will work until you try them.

Attachments

• P089ZB RPi HAT bottom traces.png
    P089ZB RPi HAT bottom traces.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 536
  • P089ZB RPi HAT top traces.png
    P089ZB RPi HAT top traces.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 463
Joined 2020
Paid Member
ranshdow:
Board appears to match the schematic.

RE: 0.6 traces. I noted what I think are some ways to get more trace width on the attached screen shots. Don't know if they will work until you try them.

Mm, those are both good suggestions. I especially like the idea of running traces on both sides. Anyway, I got impatient over the weekend and sent the PCB to JLBPCB, they approved it and now it's in production. Other than these 0.6 traces, it has another flaw- I chose not to include a ground plane. It's such a simple circuit with no obvious ground loops, and I couldn't intuit whether there would be ground potential differences anywhere, so I left it as it was. Also I need to wrap my head around why one would want a ground plane but not a power plane in something like this. Once I get the boards, it'll be play time.

I'll have 6-7 extra boards if people are interested in playing too. Because of the single SMT receptacle, these boards are 'expensive'- a little more than $3 ea. with shipping included. I also went ahead and put in a Mouser order of the various headers, jumpers & screw terminals as a kind of 'completion kit', minus the components in Mark's original BOM.

Edit: I should note, I intend to test this board fully in my application before I'd be comfortable releasing bare boards to anyone else, so if you are interested, please keep that in mind and know it could be a while.

Last edited:
I would like to thank Mark very much for giving us this design.:worship:

I got my filter from diyaudiostore today and assembled it in 5 minutes. The difference with and without the filter on my phono amp is very impressive. More space, dynamics, clarity and depth. Always amazing how much clean power makes a difference.
Thanks again. :cheers:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Big hearty congratulations to Carsten Witt for realizing that people really wanted a PCB with mounting holes, so he created one himself: post #407 in this thread.

Ferocious congratulations also to Thomas Nadeau, the person who conceived the idea "let's get 100 full parts kits into the diyAudio Store!" , purchased the Carsten Witt boards and all the parts , packed up the kits, and convinced The Powers That Be to sell them in the Store. His tenacious dedication has benefited everyone. Well done!

_

Last edited:
Big hearty congratulations to Carsten Witt for realizing that people really wanted a PCB with mounting holes, so he created one himself: post #407 in this thread.

Ferocious congratulations also to Thomas Nadeau, the person who conceived the idea "let's get 100 full parts kits into the diyAudio Store!" , purchased the Carsten Witt boards and all the parts , packed up the kits, and convinced The Powers That Be to sell them in the Store. His tenacious dedication has benefited everyone. Well done!

Its all my pleasure and I couldn't have done it without your fantastic design or guidance through the board ordering process. :)

I hope the community here enjoys the boards.

--Tom

_

No Mark,
it was not my idea with the holes ... one of our diy friends asked me if I can and so ...
As I wrote thanks for all your suggestions, ideas and helping us and sharing the gerbers.

P.S.: I ordered a set of all input stages from you for the VFET and I would like to auction them off, starts at €1 + shipping costs and the proceeds go to diyaudio.com.
Would that be ok for you?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
CW-- OK with me! Please don't invest huge amounts of money in inventory at any one time, just in case the Store suddenly announces they have boards and kits to sell, or other "competitors" arrive. This is not a prediction or a certainty, just a recommendation of financial caution & prudent capital management.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you need to place a Mouser order anyway, perhaps because your junkbox contains no 0.04R 5% 1W current sense resistors (Mouser P/N 66-OAR1R040JLF), go ahead and order the entire parts list at the same time. Then feel comforted & satisfied that you're building the filter EXACTLY as its designer intended.

Or if you purchased the kit of all parts + PCB from the diyAudio Store (at the screaming bargain price of USD 9.00), just use the resistors they provide and don't make substitutions.

If you need to place a Mouser order anyway, perhaps because your junkbox contains no 0.04R 5% 1W current sense resistors (Mouser P/N 66-OAR1R040JLF), go ahead and order the entire parts list at the same time. Then feel comforted & satisfied that you're building the filter EXACTLY as its designer intended.

Or if you purchased the kit of all parts + PCB from the diyAudio Store (at the screaming bargain price of USD 9.00), just use the resistors they provide and don't make substitutions.

I agree with Mark - order the whole BOM if you are in there but get a few extras of the current sense resistors. When I sourced parts for the kits, the 0.04R resistors were basically only found at one source (Mouser); everyone else was showing 3 months+ restocking and I cleaned out Mouser's stock for this little kit so it doesn't seem like they have a million of these on-hand at any given time.

--Tom

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Haha same problem here with the 0.04R resistors. Can't find them anywhere here in Europe

Have you tried looking for 1% tolerance 0.04R resistors, as mentioned in post #36 of this thread? The parts list suggests 5% tolerance, because they cost slightly less. But if you don't mind paying more money, in exchange for getting parts right now without backorder, maybe 1% is a plausible option.

Have you tried looking for 1% tolerance 0.04R resistors, as mentioned in post #36 of this thread? The parts list suggests 5% tolerance, because they cost slightly less. But if you don't mind paying more money, in exchange for getting parts right now without backorder, maybe 1% is a plausible option.

Mouser does have the %1 in stock now but not a huge amount. They show 0 stock for the %5 and a replenishment ETA of OCT-21. Yikes.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...s/RMCJ1U00R04FS?qs=ofF%2BRbqKDca2Z1pQPmBRxg==

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The 0.08 ohm 5% resistor 66-OAR1R080JLF is in stock at Mouser France. If you can figure out a way to mount two of them in parallel, you get 0.04 ohms. Inelegant for sure, but some builders might find that less annoying than waiting months for restocking.

Although Thomas Nadeau might be reticent to suggest buying the kit from the Store (because he created the kit, himself) ... I am not reticent. One surefire way to get all the parts is to buy the kit of all parts from the Store. Pay extra money for the convenience of immediate shipping: it's one of your options.

_

Last edited:

It's not really about substituting any value for the sake of substituting, I was tempted to design a SMD version of the filter for my own, both to tackle the SMD components in Kicad and place it into production with (partial) SMD assembly.

The PCB house does not have the 953R in any other value than 100mW, as I don't know the resonant frequency of the SMD coil (all other parameters are spot on) I might as well go for a hybrid PCB and just get a couple of parts fitted in the factory and keep the inductors and caps through hole.

EDIT: And the 953R resistor of course in that case... or even better check if they have a 1/4 watt SMD at Mouser and I'll just solder that one myself

Thanks Mark for the heads up!

Last edited: