Remote controlled pot suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I'm looking for suggestions for good quality remote controlled potentiometer setup.
I'd be interested in a kit, or even tutorial on how to set up individual components like a motorized pot circuit board and remote.

What have you guys used and are happy with?

I was looking for for the same and decided to get me a Muses 72320 volume control which u can have with remote control. I bought one from Academy Audio and am totally blown away by the immense better sound quality against the blue Alps pot.
I got the MCU from Academy Audio but there is a smaller one, with or without display. I wanted this one as it can switch inputs also. IMG_20191125_133159__01.jpg

Hey guys,
I'm looking for suggestions for good quality remote controlled potentiometer setup.
I'd be interested in a kit, or even tutorial on how to set up individual components like a motorized pot circuit board and remote.

What have you guys used and are happy with?

Have you considered using a volume control IC like

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga2311.pdf

The noise and distortion are extremely low, the channel tracking is excellent and being digitally
controlled (the audio itself is analog) lends itself nicely to remote control. For a local 'pot' you can
use a shaft encoder interfaced to the microcontroller (Arduinos are great for this task). I have
done this and more in my 5.1 preamp project.

OR you could buy something like this.

New PGA2311 3 Channel Volume Remote Preamplifier Kit for Amplifier | eBay

I initially used one of these for stereo TV audio. I substituted an Arduino in place of the supplied
micro because it is very easy to use existing remotes so that you use the same controller as the
TV meaning a single remote for all functions.

I was looking for for the same and decided to get me a Muses 72320 volume control which u can have with remote control. I bought one from Academy Audio and am totally blown away by the immense better sound quality against the blue Alps pot.
I got the MCU from Academy Audio but there is a smaller one, with or without display. I wanted this one as it can switch inputs also. View attachment 800688

audiomania
Thanks for the response. What are the components in the pic?
volume control and display board I can tell how about the other 3.

The 2 boards on the left are the 15v (+and-) Jung regulator, ordered here on diyaudio.
The board with display is the MCU, which controls the Muses which is on the small board which is a VCM.
With the MCU you can also switch 4 inputs. I have a relayinput board and use a small board with ULN2003 to switch the relays, as the MCU can switch 1mA max.

Regards Remco

I would use a surplus VCR, the tracking adjustment. Remote already built, controller built, motor available, change linear motion to rotary motion for pot shaft. Subject of a 1781 patent by James Watt.
The on-off function of the remote can turn your amp+system on & off.

stratus46

The volume control IC sounds great. Is there a tutorial on how to combine this shaft encoder interfaced to the micro controller? This is all new to me so.

I initially looked for "arduino shaft encoder" and found many examples. Over the years I had used shaft
(incremental) encoders in logic designs and in microcontrollers in assembly code so when I found some
elementary Arduino code examples I tried one and it worked. The Arduino pins it used didn't conflict
with anything I had already done so I just dropped the sample code into my sketch. If you look at the
code in my 5.1 preamp it's in the readknob block. I was lazy and put in something totally unrelated
to reading the shaft encoder block which is checking the A-D center channel audio for auto switching back
to 5.1 That block runs at 500 Hz which is sufficient for audio/no audio and looking for changes on the
encoder. If you look closely I only look for a low to high transition of the 'A' phase and then check the
value of the 'B' phase. Count the 'A' transitions and 'B' will tell you to either count up or down. I have
done incremental encoders counting all transitions but that is not needed for something this simple.
The only added parts were pull up resistors for the 'A' and 'B' pins from the encoder so you have a shaft
encoder, 2 pull up resistors (3 if you have a push switch to implement. I do) Check out this link. It will
give you a good grasp on what is happening.

Arduino Playground - RotaryEncoders

Their libraries are good and will work at high speeds but for people just turning a knob the simple
approach I used is more than sufficient.

I would use a surplus VCR, the tracking adjustment. Remote already built, controller built, motor available, change linear motion to rotary motion for pot shaft. Subject of a 1781 patent by James Watt.
The on-off function of the remote can turn your amp+system on & off.

You're aware that the tracking control does not physically move any parts. It changes the phase lock
angle between the frame reference and the control track pulse playing off the tape. This changes where
the rotary head contacts the tape.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.