Linn Kairn Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a Linn Karik and a Linn Kairn for spares or repair. Both were dead or showed very little life, I paid £120 for the two with remotes.

The Karik was completely dead and showed no life, it had a silver slimline Brilliant supply in it that a HiFi shop had tried to fix but failed. Using a MM there seems to be nothing out of that Brilliant.

The Kairn would only show the green LED, dimly. It also has the silver slimline Brilliant in it and that showed life on the MM.

I swapped the Brilliant from the Kairn into the Karik and the Karik now works fine :)

The "repair" on the other Brilliant is Sub Optimal as in there are at least two capacitors that were loose and on one of the large capacitors the solder pad has come away from the underside of the board. Am I right in thinking that the only connection to those capacitors is on the upper non pad side? If so I will attempt a repair of the pad.

However that still leaves me with the Kairn. This does not seem to be a PSU issue as the PSU originally in it is working fine in the Karik.
(Unless the Karik does not use all the Rails from the Brilliant?)

I have had a quick look at the main board for obvious Caps damage and the like and I cannot see anything. Any advice on what usually goes wrong on these?

However, when I took off the front I could see that the battery is corroded but I cannot see much damage from corrosion on the PCB and have tested out the lines I can see with potential damage and they seem OK. One SM Capacitor is hard to read but that could be because it is in circuit(?)

Any ideas on what to look for?

The white is the damaged tracks but they are showing continuity. Purple is the capacitor I cannot reliably/at all read. I have removed the battery in this pic.
49061355033_e6a08bd14e_c.jpg

Corrosion/Leaking Battery
49056672007_172d98b8a3_c.jpg

49056455661_09db0ea6b6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Linn prducts can be a pain in the *** to repair. Most of the good techs here in Perth won't touch them because of the lack of service manuals and complexity of the design. My Unidisk Sc recently stopped playing any discs , no one wanted to touch it and a replacement laser didn't solve the problem. I recapped the slimline psu and replaced the electros on the main board , the preamp now sounds a lot better but the disc unit still does not work. Good luck with the repairs , if you can get them both working reliably it is worth the effort in my oppinion.

I just bought a Linn Karik and a Linn Kairn for spares or repair. Both were dead or showed very little life, I paid £120 for the two with remotes.

The Karik was completely dead and showed no life, it had a silver slimline Brilliant supply in it that a HiFi shop had tried to fix but failed. Using a MM there seems to be nothing out of that Brilliant.

The Kairn would only show the green LED, dimly. It also has the silver slimline Brilliant in it and that showed life on the MM.

I swapped the Brilliant from the Kairn into the Karik and the Karik now works fine :)

The "repair" on the other Brilliant is Sub Optimal as in there are at least two capacitors that were loose and on one of the large capacitors the solder pad has come away from the underside of the board. Am I right in thinking that the only connection to those capacitors is on the upper non pad side? If so I will attempt a repair of the pad.

However that still leaves me with the Kairn. This does not seem to be a PSU issue as the PSU originally in it is working fine in the Karik.
(Unless the Karik does not use all the Rails from the Brilliant?)

I have had a quick look at the main board for obvious Caps damage and the like and I cannot see anything. Any advice on what usually goes wrong on these?

However, when I took off the front I could see that the battery is corroded but I cannot see much damage from corrosion on the PCB and have tested out the lines I can see with potential damage and they seem OK. One SM Capacitor is hard to read but that could be because it is in circuit(?)

Any ideas on what to look for?

The white is the damaged tracks but they are showing continuity. Purple is the capacitor I cannot reliably/at all read. I have removed the battery in this pic.

Corrosion/Leaking Battery
I have save the images in post 21, page 3 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/225271-linn-kairn-repair-3.html#post6372819

I'm looking for guys who have saved the entire Linn forum - go to
Linn Forum is permanently closed - who have save all the Threads arround the LP12 ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.