SAE Preamplifier Equalizer Mark IXB

Well somebody did messed up the board before i got the preamplifier, He tried to clean it with a brush not knowing that the inductors are torroid wound with a very fine wire (AWG 37), Yes it would be possible to count windings but its gonna take a long long time (the inductors were the torroid type) plus i dont have access to a torroid winder that is why i am using epcos pot cores. Most of these LC base eq (pre-Gyrator designs) are using 5-3 Henry on the 30z-50Hz band thats a lot of winding to cound. I did try to wound an inductor on a EE25 core with AL values of 1950 i got 3.5H for a 1400 turns gapped due to the adhesive.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> DCR value of the inductor so you could estimate the Q

You know C and F, which gives L. Using F and either C or L you can compute Q. We don't know the design Q but if this is a 10-band I would start with 1.3 to 2.8. Comparison of peak boost to factory spec may refine this value.

it is a 7 band eq with non ISO center freq 40hz, 120hz, 320hz, 960hz, 2500hz, 7500hz, 15khz i love the sound of inductor eqs similar to those manley passive eq, pultec amd rupert neve designs for me thisnis the real tone control before the simulated inductor become mainstream aka gyrators

Gyrators simulate ideal, linear inductors, which is a struggle for real inductors to achieve. I'd worry you think there's some magic present, when the magic is in the performance of gyrators, cheaper, better, more precise.

it is a 7 band eq with non ISO center freq 40hz, 120hz, 320hz, 960hz, 2500hz, 7500hz, 15khz i love the sound of inductor eqs similar to those manley passive eq, pultec amd rupert neve designs for me thisnis the real tone control before the simulated inductor become mainstream aka gyrators
Dear,

I bought a SAE Mark IXB that had/has some issues. Some wiring needed to be replaced, some switches were broken, etc. I found 2nd hand switches and replaced the defective ones. The only thing that still doesn't work is the equalizer (the switch to turn the EQ on/off is okay). I do not know what the cause can be (no schematic). Would you be so kind to help me out and ask your friend, who knows the product really well, for advice? Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Martin