3M Revere Wollensak Tape Deck T-1980 restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ran across a (in my opinion) good deal on a 3M Revere Wollensak Reel to Reel tape deck recently.

I have several reels of tape from my parents which I would like to listen to and possibly digitize.

Since it is tube based, and circa 196x, the first thing was to reform the electrolytic capacitors.

I spent the afternoon doing that after disassembling it.

Voltages and ripple look reasonable.

Next up is measuring all CC resistors and replacing those out of tolerance.

I have a copy of the Sam's Photofact I got on line for $14 which under the circumstances seems reasonable.

Beyond this, has anyone restored a similar tape deck?

How do I treat the pinch rollers, drive belts etc to clean and as best possible restore them?

We had these in language lab about 1963. They were pretty vile sounding but could record and play back words.
I, being a musician, wouldn't bother with a Wollensak. A Sony TC366, I'd really like to get that working again. I've got a large collection of 1/4" quarter track tape recorded on a TC355. But like you say, the tensioner pads, the lubricant, the rubber rollers all wander off value so badly. And no parts available for my closet queen.
Best of luck in your endeavors.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> We had these in language lab about 1963.

His 1980 model is upright and stereo, not the old-friend from the teacher's desk.

I'm not sure if it may be the same basic mechanism used in many Reveres and Wollensaks, with small mods and all new electronics (twice).

He's getting great advice elsewhere about fine lubrication. Which may be more applicable to other decks, even the later Wollensaks, whereas a 1980 may be happy with rotisserie-level lubrication. (Being camera-roots it probably is not depending on lubrication to do well.)

I'm sure it is fine, even "too good", for family tapes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.