Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Best volume control
Best volume control
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribute View Post
Hi, I am about to try to build a pre-amp & want to make sure I get the best vol cntrl available.
I had initially thought of the Alps Black Beauty, but that is apparently not available any more.

Definitely need something better than the Alps Blue pot, don't mind stepped resistor attenuators, but it must have more than 24 steps, otherwise the vol increase between steeps is to big.

Happy to go up to around $150 for a unit.

Cheers thanks for any input
Remove the contacts altogether
Old 16th October 2019, 11:38 AM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

. . and enjoy a little low order distortion with your music?
Old 16th October 2019, 12:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
. . and enjoy a little low order distortion with your music?
Not at all, but what you refer to as I understand is the exceedingly poor ways LDr's have been powered in the past.... but continue on ignoring their true attributes as you wish, as I understand you have never heard a good LDR circuit, or even care to hear one.
Old 16th October 2019, 02:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The way you shine light on an LDR does not affect the distortion caused by nonlinear LDR resistance. It can, of course, add extra intermodulation if the light source is not steady but you will still get some LDR distortion with a perfect light source.

I realise that some people hate contacts and for them an LDR volume control may be the best option. Others hate non-linearity and for them the LDR might be a bad option.

Some LDR volume control vendors admit that all LDR controls add a little distortion but say that this is too small to matter; they may be right. Others try to deny the problem and make false technical claims, or attempt to confuse signal linearity with volume control position linearity (two entirely unrelated issues).
Old 16th October 2019, 02:39 PM   #15
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

The resistor biasing the non-inverting input in Baxandall like, active level, controls can be of high value of even supressed (see Putzey's one, it has not any). So only a very small current passes through the cursor and the potentiometer track is well preserved from degradation.
I very much like this kind of volume control.
Old 16th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The way you shine light on an LDR does not affect the distortion caused by nonlinear LDR resistance. It can, of course, add extra intermodulation if the light source is not steady but you will still get some LDR distortion with a perfect light source.

I realise that some people hate contacts and for them an LDR volume control may be the best option. Others hate non-linearity and for them the LDR might be a bad option.

Some LDR volume control vendors admit that all LDR controls add a little distortion but say that this is too small to matter; they may be right. Others try to deny the problem and make false technical claims, or attempt to confuse signal linearity with volume control position linearity (two entirely unrelated issues).
its actually the other way around, caused by the nonlinear way of powering. You need to provide for the powering correctly properly with no parallels , ie high impedance either side of anode and cathode- inferring naturally that the cathode is not signal ground.
Old 16th October 2019, 10:12 PM   #17
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

I am pretty sure that one can build a lightspeed attenuator for less than $150.

Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp
Old 17th October 2019, 12:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly View Post
its actually the other way around, caused by the nonlinear way of powering. You need to provide for the powering correctly properly with no parallels , ie high impedance either side of anode and cathode- inferring naturally that the cathode is not signal ground.
Unusual for me to have to re-quote myself, but I suppose just like drivers driving off a bridge with signage saying otherwise... not everyone reads posts when they should.
Old 17th October 2019, 11:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly
You have spouted this complete nonsense before in other threads, and I and others have tried to explain basic electronics to you. We clearly have failed so I don't intend to repeat the exercise here. All I will say is that people wanting to buy or make an LDR volume control should find one designed by someone who knows what he is doing.
Old 17th October 2019, 04:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You have spouted this complete nonsense before in other threads, and I and others have tried to explain basic electronics to you. We clearly have failed so I don't intend to repeat the exercise here. All I will say is that people wanting to buy or make an LDR volume control should find one designed by someone who knows what he is doing.
Glad you tried it... but that's not the case is it. A person of your skills should be able to construct a high impedance circuit.

Best volume controlHide this!Advertise here!