Do preamp input caps need to be polar (DC blocking?)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and thanks for comments. Yes the previous stage is a Denon sacd player with Silmic blocking. 100uf with 10r following. The Rotel has bog standard ? 4.7uf and taking Marks comments into consideration then Its probably a tad too much.
However once inside the big Rotel I find it NOT easy to access one of the caps which is bent over (Rhand ) but the other is somewhat hidden under the power switch board . Removing the push button assembly for this is no easy job. Now its all on the back burner. Will do replacement vishays and caps all in one go.

Dave

surprise surprise

Hi and thanks for comments. Yes the previous stage is a Denon sacd player with Silmic blocking. 100uf with 10r following. The Rotel has bog standard ? 4.7uf and taking Marks comments into consideration then Its probably a tad too much.
However once inside the big Rotel I find it NOT easy to access one of the caps which is bent over (Rhand ) but the other is somewhat hidden under the power switch board . Removing the push button assembly for this is no easy job. Now its all on the back burner. Will do replacement vishays and caps all in one go.

Dave
Wll I finally managed to get into the Rotel , underneath and removed one 100uf cap easily enough to find that almost ALL are BlackGate caps.I am even sure that the 4.7 coupling cap is the same and 4 others elsewhere are bandaged up presumably for microphonic reasons. In hindsight I must admit I played around with black gates when the first appeared and decided I preferred Silmics. Knowing the sonic signature Of BG I should have recognized it. ? I still prefer silmics for a more natural accoustic or at least a mixture of caps . Obviously these BG have all been in a long time so I am seriously considering a major swap session. I will measure them simply enough.,

Just considering the remarks re total removal of DC blocking a question re phase came to mind?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.