Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Do preamp input caps need to be polar (DC blocking?)?
Do preamp input caps need to be polar (DC blocking?)?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 04:51 PM   #21
raffajaffa is offline raffajaffa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi and thanks for comments. Yes the previous stage is a Denon sacd player with Silmic blocking. 100uf with 10r following. The Rotel has bog standard ? 4.7uf and taking Marks comments into consideration then Its probably a tad too much.
However once inside the big Rotel I find it NOT easy to access one of the caps which is bent over (Rhand ) but the other is somewhat hidden under the power switch board . Removing the push button assembly for this is no easy job. Now its all on the back burner. Will do replacement vishays and caps all in one go.

Dave
Old 18th October 2019, 03:47 PM   #22
raffajaffa is offline raffajaffa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default surprise surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffajaffa View Post
Hi and thanks for comments. Yes the previous stage is a Denon sacd player with Silmic blocking. 100uf with 10r following. The Rotel has bog standard ? 4.7uf and taking Marks comments into consideration then Its probably a tad too much.
However once inside the big Rotel I find it NOT easy to access one of the caps which is bent over (Rhand ) but the other is somewhat hidden under the power switch board . Removing the push button assembly for this is no easy job. Now its all on the back burner. Will do replacement vishays and caps all in one go.

Dave
Wll I finally managed to get into the Rotel , underneath and removed one 100uf cap easily enough to find that almost ALL are BlackGate caps.I am even sure that the 4.7 coupling cap is the same and 4 others elsewhere are bandaged up presumably for microphonic reasons. In hindsight I must admit I played around with black gates when the first appeared and decided I preferred Silmics. Knowing the sonic signature Of BG I should have recognized it. ? I still prefer silmics for a more natural accoustic or at least a mixture of caps . Obviously these BG have all been in a long time so I am seriously considering a major swap session. I will measure them simply enough.,

Just considering the remarks re total removal of DC blocking a question re phase came to mind?

Do preamp input caps need to be polar (DC blocking?)?Hide this!Advertise here!