DSP crossovers and Phono Stages...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, not necessarily. You are going through an extra ad/da stage but these are very transparent these days. just be sure to send a high enough signal level into the AD conversion.

Your vinyl already went through an extra DA stage. Analogue recordings are very rare these days. 99,9% of modern vinyl records are digitally recorded and mastered anyways so you should ask yourself whether pressing it onto vinyl isn't a bigger compromise to the signal.

I'm not going to debate anything. I play vinyl myself into a dsp preamp/crossover. This preamp/crossover sounds better than my tube preamp even though the analogue signal is going through AD/DA stages.
So, no by itself it is not a big compromise to the phono signal.

P.S. while I think vinyl sounds pretty damn good I can, however, mimick the sound of vinyl with a compressor plugin. Vinyl is compressed audio and in fact many people prefer a little bit of compression because they feel it sounds more "Dynamic" has more meat on the bones and sounds just a bit bigger and bolder. In reality, this is compression. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you like it.

Your vinyl already went through an extra DA stage. Analogue recordings are very rare these days. 99,9% of modern vinyl records are digitally recorded and mastered anyways so you should ask yourself whether pressing it onto vinyl isn't a bigger compromise to the signal.

True, although fully analogue recordings are slowly becoming more common, see Robert Haagsma, Passion for vinyl II - An Ode to Analog, ISBN/EAN: 978-90-827839-0-2.

Playing a record changes the record itself. I suspect the change in the record from one playing to the next due to record wear is larger than the change in sound from one additional A/D conversion with modern equipment. It is a pretty easy experiment to do. Digitally record the signal from your record player for a few playbacks and compare the digital captures. Then run the first recording through the D/A and A/D again and capture that. Well, the wow, flutter, rumble and distortion and noise won't be even close from play back to playback, so you lose right there. The change from an additional D/A - A/D will be small. Of course this is nothing compared to how the signal is distorted by the record mastering and production process. Each step, mastering for vinyl (compression, frequency response filtering), cutting head distortions, cutting turntable wow, flutter and noise, master disc surface noise, the process of plating, and the some 4 generations of mechanical duplication to get a stamper. Last of course is the wow, flutter & rumble of your turntable, arm resonances, cartridge gain and phase variations, cable noise, preamp noise, frequency gain and phase errors of RIAA deemphasis. Vinyl records are fun, but not high fidelity in any way. The signal that goes in at the mastering, looks nothing like what comes out of your preamp. They try to make it sound nice, but it isn't even close to the same, which is what HiFi is all about.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. It is a pretty easy experiment to do. Digitally record the signal from your record player for a few playbacks and compare the digital captures. Then run the first recording through the D/A and A/D again and capture that. Well, the wow, flutter, rumble and distortion and noise won't be even close from play back to playback, so you lose right there.

It is easy and Gpapag did the test. 150 plays of the same track, at the end of which disortion was slightly lower. All this stuff about the record losing HF after a few plays seems to be a myth at least on anything that isn't a jukebox.

The signal needs to be EQed anyways and doing it digitally in the DSP is a nice option
This is my plan. Makes a lot of sense once you get over the phobia of digitising the vinyl, which is a natural concern. Makes the phono stage a lot simpler.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.