Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Basic preamp circuit
Basic preamp circuit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2019, 07:10 PM   #1
audiofan is offline audiofan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Basic preamp circuit

I would like to build a basic preamp using 8 pins DIP ( no surface mount device) Of course I would like it to sound great !

I found this documentation: https://www.analog.com/media/en/tech...ets/LT1010.pdf

Should I go with this or is there something as easy to build that will be better ?
Old 11th September 2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Basic preamp circuit
The LT1010 is really a high power buffer stage (with no intrinsic voltage gain) and the LT1056 opamp if I recall correctly is just a decent FET input device.

Unless you need the ability to deliver -/+150 milliamps into some load then the LT1010 isn't needed.

Audio preamps manage fine with normal parts and rarely see output currents of more than a few milliamps.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
There are lots of simplest circuits to test and experiment, but if you want to play with it, then take a time to play.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

You'll seldom go wrong with a bunch of NE5532's (properly decoupled). Great performance, great price. Especially important is the low current noise, excellent for a BJT input opamp.

Many recent opamps are SMT only, alas (although to be honest SOIC8 isn't hard to solder, and breakout boards are available).
Old 12th September 2019, 08:39 PM   #5
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Audiofan,

Best to state what features you would like, what sources you are using, size, power etc. Easier for us to point you in the right direction. As Mark said, there is nothing wrong with a NE5532 or 5534 in the right applications. The part is still in production for this very reason.
The LT1010 is used so that a design can have a low impedance (low noise) feedback network( resistors make noise) as shown in some of the examples. Used in a composite amp.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:03 AM   #6
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

You do not need a chip that boasts 150mA output in a hi-fi preamp.

Hi-fi preamp outputs are rarely even 3V peak into 10k load. This is 0.3mA.

And and all of the Reliable Regulars will be fine, and more available. TL072 is a fine thing and very forgiving of beginners (stable, short resistant). Every track in your collection has passed through multiple TL072. The 5532 is better in very low-level and high-level work, and also used by bucket-loads in music mastering.
Old 13th September 2019, 09:27 PM   #7
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Every track in your collection has passed through multiple TL072.
Probably not anymore these days. Good luck trying to avoid '4580s though... Behringer alone is using them by the bucketload. (Not exactly sure why RC4580s instead of NJM4580s though.)

NJM2068 is another rather common type.

All of these parts have somewhat different characteristics that need to be accommodated.
For example, the NJM2068 has low voltage noise (about as low as it gets for a cheap opamp - 3-ish nV/sqrt(Hz)) but is going to struggle driving high levels into less than about 2-3 kOhms. (It's got a fairly decent amount of GBW though, and you could augment it with an external driver stage to take full advantage of its low noise at low gains.)
The NE5532 has far more robust output driving down to 600 ohms and is still going to do a good job with highish surrounding impedances (plus it can run at higher than usual supplies), though its voltage noise levels aren't that special by modern standards.
4580 is a Jack of all trades but master of none kind of part, with driving abilities a bit better than the NJM2068 and noise a bit lower than the 5532; most importantly perhaps, it remains useful down to +/- 2 V (vs. recommendations of +/-4 V = 8 V for the NJM2068 or +/-5 V for the NE5532 - mind you, I once tested a little headphone amp using a Philips NE5532, and it did remain quite usable down to a total 4.5 V or so), though it does seem to suffer from latchup near V-.

All of these are pretty much jellybean parts - you can definitely get fancier, more expensive ones as well. (A few coming to mind: LM4562/LME49720, OPA2227, OPA2827, or one of the current TI parts with adapters - OPA1602, OPA1622 or OPA1662 for bipolars or OPA1642 or OPA1652 for FET input parts.)

The OP may want to clarify what kind of supply voltages are going to be present, whether he's already set his eye on a particular volume pot and how much voltage gain is needed (if unsure, state signal sources, power amp gain / type and speaker sensitivity). For a classic 16.5 dB gain, 50 kOhm pot, +/-12-15 V kind of deal there really isn't an awful lot wrong with a '5532 though, assuming its input bias current is taken care of as usual.

Last edited by sgrossklass; 13th September 2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 13th September 2019, 09:55 PM   #8
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

I think I need to extend my plots of opamp noise/impedance somewhat for some of these parts mentioned: #206 at Drop in replacement for NE5532?
Old 16th September 2019, 12:33 PM   #9
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan View Post
I would like to build a basic preamp using 8 pins DIP ( no surface mount device) Of course I would like it to sound great !

I found this documentation: https://www.analog.com/media/en/tech...ets/LT1010.pdf

Should I go with this or is there something as easy to build that will be better ?
It depends on how basic is basic to you. No tone control? All passive?

I have used this approach and had good success. Find a preamp circuit board on e/bay with the features and topology that you want and designed for 5532 or 5534 opamp. After receiving the board, remove the opamps and replace them with opamp sourced from reliable US source such as DigiKey or Mouser. I found the LME49720 to be an excellent upgrade from 5532 and very reasonably priced in the US too.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:47 PM   #10
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

As example:

Quote:
I found the LME49720 to be an excellent upgrade from 5532 and very reasonably priced in the US too.
Do you have a power amplifier, or some, many complementary-transistor-stages-circuit, possible double-mono, multi-way loudspeakers and so on,-?

Basic preamp circuitHide this!Advertise here!