NAD S100 preamp restoring/upgrading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all i would check the powersupply, because i know some of the components goes really hot and caps can be dried out. If thats ok i would check frontpanel and it could be q503 ic thats toast (not sure) but then he is out of luck cuz thats Nads own chip and there is no replacements.
I’m not really sure.
The way i see it also is that if the remote can do the switching and everything else works fine then all the tact switches are broken and thats not likely either.
Have this unit ever been touched? Some photos and general check would be good.

I think the problem is the green button on the remote. Apparently when you turn off the preamp through it, the functions on the front panel are blocked. He called me now, he says, after the preamplifier disconnected from the mains with the button on the front panel everything worked correctly.

Have this unit ever been touched?
No, no one ever opened. It is almost new, with a full set of documents, the remote control is also completely new, wrapped in factory polyethylene, it has a foam box and even white gloves so as not to stain the amplifier with greasy hands. Purchased with S200 amplifier. And my friend and I did not understand how this kit sounds, because for our taste it has too much monitor and studio sound. And this kit starts to sound decent only after warming up for at least 2 hours, and at high volume, only in this case the sound becomes clear, not gray.
CD-player - transport AudioNet V2, acoustic cables ACROLINK Stress-free, speakers B&W804s.

Last edited:
We had the opportunity to buy the S300, but I did not like the protection scheme of the output transistors, and I chose the S200. Honestly, I expected more. 30 years ago I had a high-class Soviet amplifier, it had the same weight and sounded better and almost immediately, without a long warm-up. And Soviet speakers were also better than the B & W804s.
Explorations the Bill Evans Trio sounded great. With a full piano, sonorous incomparable drums and tassels. The source was a licensed Melody gramophone disc.
https://a.d-cd.net/7MAAAgDleOA-1920.jpg
http://ldsound.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/korvet100ym048c-ldsound.ru-10.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.