Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Bluetooth/Wi Fi for Vintage Amp.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2019, 04:00 AM   #1
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Bluetooth/Wi Fi for Vintage Amp.

What would be the best way to go for playing wireless Hi-Resolution music through a vintage amplifier? I've seen Bluetooth receivers on ebay but I have no idea if they are of Hi-Resolution quality or if there are any problems with them, in fact, I know nothing about this subject and I need some advice from people who have been down this road.
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Bluetooth 4.0 or above are high quality sound ime.
I bought one of these $32, internal battery so it's easily portable, 3.5mm & optical out, sounds good on my system.

Dan.
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Bluetooth 4.0 or above are high quality sound ime.
I bought one of these $32, internal battery so it's easily portable, 3.5mm & optical out, sounds good on my system.

Dan.
I can't see any RCA plugs? Without them, it's useless for vintage amps? Thanks for the info on Bluetooth 4.0 and above, that is handy to know.

Last edited by redrooster; 23rd July 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:28 AM   #4
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have a look at the Yamaha WXAD-10.

WXAD-10 - Overview - Multi-room Audio - Home Audio - Products - Yamaha - Music - Australia
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:29 AM   #5
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

There are plenty of options out there in BT4.x.

You could go the diy option and get a little module from eBay etc and wire it directly into the amp. Some can be reprogrammed to display whatever name you want in your BT device list.. some can't. They usually cost anything from $10-50.

Or plug ins can be had from around $20-40 for a generic brand.

Logitech do one for $40, Sennheiser for $140 and Bose have a wifi offering for about $270.

I tend to buy the little modules and feed them a dedicated supply. Then it is just a matter of squeezing them into the build. This is to minimise the amount of 'boxes' I have in the system.

Can I ask what the vintage amp is?
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:41 AM   #6
ezavalla is offline ezavalla  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
What would be the best way to go for playing wireless Hi-Resolution music through a vintage amplifier? I've seen Bluetooth receivers on ebay but I have no idea if they are of Hi-Resolution quality or if there are any problems with them, in fact, I know nothing about this subject and I need some advice from people who have been down this road.
Bluetooth isn't a hi resolution protocol. A2DP profile is almost as good as MP3 at 192 kHz, but that's all it has.
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtech23 View Post
There are plenty of options out there in BT4.x.

You could go the diy option and get a little module from eBay etc and wire it directly into the amp. Some can be reprogrammed to display whatever name you want in your BT device list.. some can't. They usually cost anything from $10-50.

Or plug ins can be had from around $20-40 for a generic brand.

Logitech do one for $40, Sennheiser for $140 and Bose have a wifi offering for about $270.

I tend to buy the little modules and feed them a dedicated supply. Then it is just a matter of squeezing them into the build. This is to minimise the amount of 'boxes' I have in the system.

Can I ask what the vintage amp is?
It's a Sansui AU-11000 and my other one is a Sansui AU-D907F Extra. What I need is the highest resolution wireless receiver I can get with RCA output plugs.
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
This Yamaha WXAD-10 is just what the doctor ordered AND it has RCA plugs. I hope the $230 is not in $USD? lol Thank you for that, it saved me a heap of searching and looking at specs, etc...
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:59 AM   #9
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I paid AU$188 (free shipping) from Clef Hi-Fi. It's a well regarded streamer from the reviews as it seems to make the top ten as well as a Sound and Image award.

Yamaha WXAD-10 Wireless Component, Clef Hi Fi

Last edited by rabbitz; 23rd July 2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found one on ebay for $180, I haven't bought it yet I'm looking for an even cheaper Yamaha WXAD-10 first, you never know? lol

Last edited by redrooster; 23rd July 2019 at 09:46 AM.

Bluetooth/Wi Fi for Vintage Amp.Hide this!Advertise here!