Bluetooth/Wi Fi for Vintage Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
What would be the best way to go for playing wireless Hi-Resolution music through a vintage amplifier? I've seen Bluetooth receivers on ebay but I have no idea if they are of Hi-Resolution quality or if there are any problems with them, in fact, I know nothing about this subject and I need some advice from people who have been down this road. :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bluetooth 4.0 or above are high quality sound ime.
I bought one of these $32, internal battery so it's easily portable, 3.5mm & optical out, sounds good on my system.

Dan.

I can't see any RCA plugs? Without them, it's useless for vintage amps? Thanks for the info on Bluetooth 4.0 and above, that is handy to know.

Last edited:
There are plenty of options out there in BT4.x.

You could go the diy option and get a little module from eBay etc and wire it directly into the amp. Some can be reprogrammed to display whatever name you want in your BT device list.. some can't. They usually cost anything from $10-50.

Or plug ins can be had from around $20-40 for a generic brand.

Logitech do one for $40, Sennheiser for $140 and Bose have a wifi offering for about $270.

I tend to buy the little modules and feed them a dedicated supply. Then it is just a matter of squeezing them into the build. This is to minimise the amount of 'boxes' I have in the system.

Can I ask what the vintage amp is?

What would be the best way to go for playing wireless Hi-Resolution music through a vintage amplifier? I've seen Bluetooth receivers on ebay but I have no idea if they are of Hi-Resolution quality or if there are any problems with them, in fact, I know nothing about this subject and I need some advice from people who have been down this road. :D

Bluetooth isn't a hi resolution protocol. A2DP profile is almost as good as MP3 at 192 kHz, but that's all it has.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There are plenty of options out there in BT4.x.

You could go the diy option and get a little module from eBay etc and wire it directly into the amp. Some can be reprogrammed to display whatever name you want in your BT device list.. some can't. They usually cost anything from $10-50.

Or plug ins can be had from around $20-40 for a generic brand.

Logitech do one for $40, Sennheiser for $140 and Bose have a wifi offering for about $270.

I tend to buy the little modules and feed them a dedicated supply. Then it is just a matter of squeezing them into the build. This is to minimise the amount of 'boxes' I have in the system.

Can I ask what the vintage amp is?

It's a Sansui AU-11000 and my other one is a Sansui AU-D907F Extra. What I need is the highest resolution wireless receiver I can get with RCA output plugs.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The $12 BT modules from Sanwu that I have used sound pretty darn good. And when I tried recently a CSR APTx based module, I can’t tell the difference - it sounds like a wired connection. It will depend on the quality of the 5v power supply you give it for power too.

I was going back over this thread when I noticed your post? I must have missed it? Ive been busy rebuilding some amplifiers and tuners. The Sanwu seems Ok! I could connect up a computer power supply for a rock steady 5vDC BT module or even a decent 5vDC wallwart. :)

The $12 BT modules from Sanwu that I have used sound pretty darn good. And when I tried recently a CSR APTx based module, I can’t tell the difference - it sounds like a wired connection. It will depend on the quality of the 5v power supply you give it for power too.

Could you please share the current options for adding bluetooth audio support for a preamp/amp?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I keep my transmitter module permanently on with a phone charger connected to the mains power supply and the 3.5mm signal cord plugged into the headphone outlet. If you connect the BT module power to a computer 5v DC you will get noise. Plug the receiver BT module RCA plugs into AUX on your amplifier and power to a phone charger connected to mains power.

I keep my transmitter module permanently on with a phone charger connected to the mains power supply and the 3.5mm signal cord plugged into the headphone outlet. If you connect the BT module power to a computer 5v DC you will get noise. Plug the receiver BT module RCA plugs into AUX on your amplifier and power to a phone charger connected to mains power.
Which bluetooth module r u using and how is the quality..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I bought a few of these things for $15 then they went up to $20 but they dont appear to be sold on ebay anymore? They were BT version 4.2 with a high-quality sound. You would be better off doing a search on here for a good BT module for vintage audio or start another thread? There are people here with a LOT more knowledge about these things than me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.