Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

relay as source selector - pop issues
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2019, 07:32 AM   #1
rottalpha is offline rottalpha  United States
diyAudio Member

Default relay as source selector - pop issues

Apologies in advance if this was covered in a different thread.

I am trying to tame the pops when using a selector relay to switch between two audio inputs.

The problem I am looking to solve is that every time I switch the signal sources, I get the dreaded pops form the relay. This happens with no signal applied and even when the inputs are shorted with RCA caps. There is no coupling cap on either inputs.

I am using a fly-back diode (1N914) with a 10ohm series resistor right on the relay coil, but still no difference.
I also tried separating the coil supply and powered the relay via a 9v battery. That did not help either.

This is the relay type I am using:
G6SK-2 DC12 Omron Electronics | Mouser

has anyone encountered this issue and resolved it. I am pulling hairs here trying to get rid of the pops. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Peter
Old 13th July 2019, 09:21 AM   #2
RickTH is offline RickTH
diyAudio Member

From my experience that comes from Elektor preAmp designs :
Every time you switch between an input , you switch off the line output relay for a moment . That way , pops and clicks are surpressed to the next stage . (power amp or HP amp). Of course your line out should be DC free or there might be a pop too ...
Old 13th July 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Could you show the circuit? Are you switching grounds as well? It sounds like you have a DC imbalanced between the sources, but of course that should not happen with the inputs shorted?
Old 13th July 2019, 10:59 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

To avoid switching pops you need to ensure that the inputs and output from the relay contacts are all at the same DC level. This usually means coupling caps and ground leak resistors need to be present.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottalpha View Post
Apologies in advance if this was covered in a different thread.

I am trying to tame the pops when using a selector relay to switch between two audio inputs.

The problem I am looking to solve is that every time I switch the signal sources, I get the dreaded pops form the relay. This happens with no signal applied and even when the inputs are shorted with RCA caps. There is no coupling cap on either inputs.

I am using a fly-back diode (1N914) with a 10ohm series resistor right on the relay coil, but still no difference.
I also tried separating the coil supply and powered the relay via a 9v battery. That did not help either.

This is the relay type I am using:
G6SK-2 DC12 Omron Electronics | Mouser

has anyone encountered this issue and resolved it. I am pulling hairs here trying to get rid of the pops. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Peter
Hi Peter
Contact- less methods of switching are what you need to resolve the issue.
Old 13th July 2019, 02:55 PM   #6
mickeymoose is offline mickeymoose  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 for post 4
Replace the 1N914, a small signal diode, with an 1N400x and do not use a resistor in series with the diode. E
Old 13th July 2019, 03:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisbeth View Post
Could you show the circuit? Are you switching grounds as well? It sounds like you have a DC imbalanced between the sources, but of course that should not happen with the inputs shorted?
one line is is directly coupled to the driver circuit input, with nothing in between but the relay contact, the other line has coupling caps and pots....but even after removing the caps and posts then shorting everything to ground from the input side, I do get the pops...no change

tried a resistor in series with the flyback diode and D+R across the coil, tried a resistor in series with the coil and flyback diode across the coil...no avail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selector.jpg (264.4 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by rottalpha; 13th July 2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: adding attachment
Old 13th July 2019, 03:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTH View Post
From my experience that comes from Elektor preAmp designs :
Every time you switch between an input , you switch off the line output relay for a moment . That way , pops and clicks are surpressed to the next stage . (power amp or HP amp). Of course your line out should be DC free or there might be a pop too ...
yes, I think that switching the line out would solve the issue, but it would mean adding to the circuit with some type of sequence timer, right?
Old 13th July 2019, 03:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
To avoid switching pops you need to ensure that the inputs and output from the relay contacts are all at the same DC level. This usually means coupling caps and ground leak resistors need to be present.
I have tried ground leak resistors on both inputs. I will dig more into your suggestion.
Do you have more specifics or a reference circuit?
Old 13th July 2019, 03:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly View Post
Hi Peter
Contact- less methods of switching are what you need to resolve the issue.
you mean some sort of an octocoupler? would you please elaborate?

relay as source selector - pop issuesHide this!Advertise here!