Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

active crossover
active crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2019, 01:49 AM   #1
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

Default active crossover

I am building the Martin King open baffle speaker that calls for a 12db/oct Linkwitz-Riley high pass at 500hz for the fe103. I would like to bi amp . Could I use a simple rc filter set at 500hz on the amp input and then another cap on the amp output also as a 500hz first order filter? Something tells me it can't be this easy.
Old 10th July 2019, 02:11 AM   #2
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

What drives the woofer?
Old 10th July 2019, 02:16 AM   #3
ubergeeknz is offline ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I am building the Martin King open baffle speaker that calls for a 12db/oct Linkwitz-Riley high pass at 500hz for the fe103. I would like to bi amp . Could I use a simple rc filter set at 500hz on the amp input and then another cap on the amp output also as a 500hz first order filter? Something tells me it can't be this easy.
You don't need both, just at the input.

Also you will want to filter the high frequencies from the woofer (so an equivalent low pass filter on the input to the woofer amplifier)
Old 10th July 2019, 02:55 AM   #4
woody is offline woody
diyAudio Member

I will be using another amp for the woofer.

ubergeehnz if I just use a cap at the input that will only be a 6db/oct crossover I need a 12/db xover. And my amp for the fe103 has to have an output cap so why not use it.
Old 10th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Lingwendil is online now Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

An input cap and output cap will give you 12dB if you already need an output cap anyway.

If you have enough gain you should be fine, or if you have an additional preamp with enough gain you can do it with simple cascaded RC filters between the preamp and amps.
Old 13th July 2019, 10:50 PM   #6
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post

What driver the amp? Its impedance affects the filter on the input to the amp.

active crossoverHide this!Advertise here!